Nvidia: People are paying $300 more when upgrading to RTX cards, 71% of gamers still use...

midian182

Staff member
In context: While the prices of modern GPUs are starting to fall, most still cost way above their manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP). But it seems that isn't stopping people from handing over the money. Nvidia has revealed that when it comes to buying new graphics cards, gamers are paying $300 more than what they paid for the models being replaced.

Speaking at an investors' day yesterday (via PCMag), Nvidia SVP Jeff Fisher said, "Looking into the millions of desktop GeForce gamers who we know have upgraded their GPU to a 30-series, they are buying up."

"The GPU is offering more value than ever. Based on our data, they are spending $300 more than they paid for the graphics card they replaced," he added.

A recent report showed that graphics cards in Europe had reached their lowest prices since the start of 2021, and the average selling point of GPUs on eBay fell by another 10% between February and March. That's great news, but our research shows consumers are still paying an average of 50% more than MSRP when buying a new card from Newegg. The most extreme example is the in-demand RTX 3070, which, at $860, is $360 more than its recommended retail price.

Newegg GPU prices (accurate at the time of writing)

MSRP Lowest Price March Price Inflation
GeForce RTX 3090 $1,500 $2,020 35%
GeForce RTX 3080 Ti $1,200 $1,430 19%
GeForce RTX 3080 12GB N/A $1,250 N/A
GeForce RTX 3080 10GB $700 $1,100 57%
GeForce RTX 3070 Ti $600 $850 42%
GeForce RTX 3070 $500 $860 72%
GeForce RTX 3060 Ti $400 $630 58%
GeForce RTX 3060 $330 $530 61%
GeForce RTX 3050 $250 $390 56%
    Average 50%

Many people are willing and able to pay over the odds for new cards, but Fisher revealed an interesting statistic: only 29% of the company's gamer base has made the upgrade to RTX, with the rest still using one of its GTX series.

We only have to look at the most recent Steam survey for evidence of Fisher's claim. The GeForce GTX 1060 has been the most popular graphics card among participants since it knocked the GTX 750 off the top spot in December 2017, and the Pascal-based card saw an increase in users last month. Furthermore, there are only two RTX cards in Steam's top ten: the RTX 2060 in fourth and the eighth-place RTX 3060 laptop GPU.

The GPU market will be shaken up even more later this year when Nvidia's RTX 4000 series, codenamed Lovelace, and AMD's RDNA 3 GPUs arrive. In team green's case, CFO Colette Kress has hinted that both the RTX 3000 series and new cards will be produced and sold alongside each other. She also claimed, on two occasions, that availability will improve in the second half of the year, possibly from Q3.

Should Kress' prediction about improved supply prove true, it should result in gamers paying less for their cards, but we're still expecting the RTX 4000 series to be pretty wallet-crushing. There's always the upcoming RTX 3090 Ti for those who can't wait for Lovelace. The long-delayed card is rumored to carry an MSRP of $1,999, though there are claims of some models costing anywhere between $3,800 and $5,000.

Permalink to story.

Called it before but confirming my call now: Next gen Nvidia will bump their prices 50 to 100% over Ampere's MSRP just because they can: 4060 will be a 500 USD class card, 4070 will be a 1000 USD class card and 4080 and beyond will be just something ridiculous like 1500 to 2000.

Why? Because he's not wrong: AMD's products on the high end were comparable sure, but still many months behind in feature parity on software with DLSS 2.0 and still far behind in Ray Tracing performance.

And on the mid tier? Well AMD already tried pushing up the base prices anyway with fairly mediocre cards like the 6600 and 6600 xt and Nvidia is right: A lot of people (myself included) if pushed would prefer to pay $500 for a 3060 than $500 for a 6600xt: performance for the 3060 it's not that far behind and even equal in some cases and you know that sadly, you can trust Nvidia far more when it comes to future driver support and performance patches as we've seen time and time again AMD's improvements on those areas are at best just catching up to Nvidia and not making anybody go "Boy this 3060 drivers are damn buggy I wish I had a 6600 instead" but well, the other way around.

Called it before but confirming my call now: Next gen Nvidia will bump their prices 50 to 100% over Ampere's MSRP just because they can: 4060 will be a 500 USD class card, 4070 will be a 1000 USD class card and 4080 and beyond will be just something ridiculous like 1500 to 2000.

Why? Because he's not wrong: AMD's products on the high end were comparable sure, but still many months behind in feature parity on software with DLSS 2.0 and still far behind in Ray Tracing performance.

Pricing scheme is probably right. We all saw the writing on the wall once Nvidia AIBs jacked the prices and especially when the 12GB 3080 model came out and it was selling with no MSRP and is priced almost 2x the MSRP of the 10GB 3080.

Same thing has happened with new game releases. All those "collector editions" that would go out for $20-several hundreds of dollars more than the normal game....well, gamers have shown their hand that they're willing to dish out more than $50 for a game and game prices have been creeping up more and more as time has gone on.

As for ray tracing, don't praise Nvidia for their ray tracing abilities. Sure, they can give you better performance over AMD's current cards, but the hit to performance is still awful.

That puts me in a place to think:

Should I feel bad for AMD for being as far behind Nvidia as they are in terms of ray tracing capabilities this gen?
OR
Should I feel bad for Nvidia for having dedicated cores to handle ray tracing and they still suck at it?

Honestly, ray tracing is nothing anyone should be basing a purchase off of this current gen from either company. Give them both 2 more gens before ray tracing is more in use and they've had time to develop more powerful hardware and/or improved software to handle ray tracing.

Well, I refuse to pay $800 for 3060Ti...If 3090 was $800 - cool, for people that can spend that much on a hobby. So yea, I am still on RTX and if it dies I will go and buy <$300 GPU even if it's GTX again. You can take your 2xxx and 3xxx and continue to sell them to miners and some rich people.

Well, I refuse to pay $800 for 3060Ti...If 3090 was $800 - cool, for people that can spend that much on a hobby. So yea, I am still on RTX and if it dies I will go and buy <$300 GPU even if it's GTX again. You can take your 2xxx and 3xxx and continue to sell them to miners and some rich people.
same here, my 980ti wont be replaced until I see a 3060ti for msrp........so it better not die.

"We ripped off the Whales with Ampere, and oh boy, are we gonna do it again with Ada Lovelace"

"70% of gamers are still on GTX but we're hopeful we'll rip them off too".

"RTX 3K series will stay in production and be the gamer series while the miners will all transition to RTX 4K series and make us rich in the process"

"Isn't life grand? Time to change my Ferrari to Lamborghini".

Until a display standard supports 8k120 I'm not dropping that kind of money on a card. I'm considering getting an 8k tv for use as a monitor but as someone whonuses a 4ktv at 60hz as monitor, 60hz is horrible. I don't expect to game at 8k, but I want the 8k for added sharpness. Dpi on a 4k 65" TV is just too low.

Me dream setup is an 8k120 75" TV and when the tech exists price will be no object. Most demanding game I play is ESO and I play that maxed at 4k already on a 1070ti so....

Nothing new nothing is changing ! nvidia is selling to miners (not only nvidia )that have money to spend and money to gain , as long as gamers community doesn't understand that buying a new generation card immediately after launching for just a small bump on their fps counter is just not worth it nothing will change !! I believe that gamers should wait as long as they can and one day who knows prices might be acceptable because now its just a rip off!! Don't forget about blue team that just wants a piece of the pie (miners) so a third player might help but don't get your hopes up !!patience is the key !!

30 series sales benefitted from the weak 20 series that preceded it, increased gaming due to pandemic lockdowns, plus of course mining.

I'm not sure how well it can be used to predict 40 series sales. Of course as long as there are any miners who feel the cards can be used to make money, they'll bid up the cards to close to the speculated value of the crypto they can produce.

Until a display standard supports 8k120 I'm not dropping that kind of money on a card. I'm considering getting an 8k tv for use as a monitor but as someone whonuses a 4ktv at 60hz as monitor, 60hz is horrible. I don't expect to game at 8k, but I want the 8k for added sharpness. Dpi on a 4k 65" TV is just too low.

Me dream setup is an 8k120 75" TV and when the tech exists price will be no object. Most demanding game I play is ESO and I play that maxed at 4k already on a 1070ti so....
Wait until you get married and have kids !!!it will stay a dream!!lol!

The fact is gaming has gone mainstream. And like practically every other popular thing companies will happily sell you something for thousands to do it. In fact I think PC gaming is still a cheaper than a lot of other things, even tech. How many people do you know get the latest $1500 smartphone every year? How much do people pay for a fancy camera? There’s loads of examples.

Some people will get upset that they can’t get a card for the price they want to pay. But as long as enough people pay the higher prices I can’t see them getting cheaper. This rules me out, it’s annoying that I can’t buy a decent card for $200-$300 but I won’t pay more. I don’t really play or care enough to warrant spending more. And I’m not going to throw my toys out the pram over the price of PC gaming.

Still don't understand why the 3070ti has been the same price as the 3070 for this long. One the the worst value cards because one of the relative best value cards.

Yes Nvidia and Co. will make hay ...

However the gravy train will end - Why

PS5, PS6, XB1 ,XB2 Switch2 etc etc

The massive rise in mobile gaming - especially as SOCs get real good - screens get great - cast to HDR big TVS .

Plus with no low level highly competent feeder level - you will lose huge base going forward .

Intel and other players entering market - maybe even open source graphic cards

So my take is 5060 ( they will try rip off on 4060 initally ) - will be in the $300/$400 category

Same for AMD
The 4080s etc will definitely be more .

Ie keep main base happy and a future with a $200 -$250 RTX4050 card & $300 to $400 RTX4060
card -Make 30% extra mark up on RTX 4070 & 50% plus mark up on rtx 4080 and even more on RTX 4090- as there's no price on extra fps ( as previously quoted )

These mark ups - are over base mark up for RTX 4060.

Plus All these FABs coming on board - yes extra stuff for Robots , Cars etc - but there will be a surplus or at least less demand for 100% capacity

Not buying anything above MSRP.
They can try to overprice their cards, but sales will dry up, the midsegment from 250-350 USD will always be the sweet spot for masses. The number on the card only matters so much.
Currently, 3050 is serving this segment and is still at 100% mark up. This is the segment which will see sales of volume.
One thing to take away from this is people are still holding on to their cards and not upgrading, supply is there, but the price is still a deterrent.

Why are there so many people on GTX cards, because, (1) there is no reason to keep chasing after the fastest GPU, (2) Nvidia and AMD have been busy selling their GPUs to miners with a small percentage to gamers, and, (3) that small percentage that they sell to gamers are overly inflated in price.
Again, I don’t know where they get their 300 bucks more number because that seems suspiciously low when you consider the fact that the most popular cards like RTX 3060 was going for more than double its MSRP for quite some time. Even at launch, it was easily more than 50 to 75% marked up.

65" 4k screen has only 67.78 PPI, too low for a monitor. 75" 8k screen has 117.49 PPI, but I just can't imagine using it as a monitor, your neck would die from all the head turning :D.

And on the mid tier? Well AMD already tried pushing up the base prices anyway with fairly mediocre cards like the 6600 and 6600 xt and Nvidia is right: A lot of people (myself included) if pushed would prefer to pay $500 for a 3060 than $500 for a 6600xt: performance for the 3060 it's not that far behind and even equal in some cases and you know that sadly, you can trust Nvidia far more when it comes to future driver support and performance patches as we've seen time and time again AMD's improvements on those areas are at best just catching up to Nvidia and not making anybody go "Boy this 3060 drivers are damn buggy I wish I had a 6600 instead" but well, the other way around.
My last 4 GPUs have been AMD and I have had only one issue and it was many years ago.
It does seem like when they first launch a new card there are some issues for some people but I have had had zero problems for a long time now. Sure the ray tracing needs to catch up and it appears they they are working on that now. But all and all I think the whole AMD drivers stuff is really exaggerated.

If anything, this shows that the ones that buy nVidia at these prices are either desperate, gullible or ignorant.
Isn't that the majority of gamers already, ffs they're still losing against microtransactions, which you just don't have to buy and they'd win.

these companies could sell a literal bag of sh*t for 2grand and gamers would buy it en masse and praise it.

Back