Nvidia readying cut-down GeForce GTX 460 for June launch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

According to Chinese tech blog Expreview.com, citing "reliable sources", Nvidia is preparing a lower-end addition to its GeForce GTX 400 lineup that could come as soon as June 1 -- just in time for Computex. The third Fermi-based offering will reportedly bear the GeForce GTX 460 name and should go against AMD's Radeon HD 5850 in terms of price and performance.

It is said to utilize the same PCB as the GeForce GTX 470, but featuring 1GB of GDDR5 memory connected via a 256-bit bus and presumably cuts specs across the board. By comparison, the GTX 470 has 1,280MB of GDDR5 RAM and a 320-bit memory interface. Interestingly, Expreview claims there will be no formal reference design for the GTX 460, with each partner free to make a slightly different version.

Previous rumors suggest that other cheaper Fermi derivatives based on new silicon could arrive around June as well. These include a GeForce GTS 450, 440, and 430 -- all of them based on the 40nm GF104 core and priced under $200.

Permalink to story.

If this new card is not a massive power hog and heat generator, then I think it will be a good seller if the price is right. Also what is good is the fact the the PCB designs are up to the manufacturers, hence better cooling solutions? I think once non-reference PCBs for the 480/470 start to come out addressing the heat issues then this family of Nvidia cards could end up be great sellers.

Heat and power. If they can't get those under control with these new nVidia cards, they're dead in the water.

The 480 is great in the winter, the family can huddle around the computer for warmth.
But for the summer months, with a higher ambient room temperature, the 480 might just melt.

This is a smart move on Nvidia's part, when people's 480s finally spontaneously combust, the 460 will be a "cool" replacement.

From Anandtech

Idle GPU Temperature

5870-39C vs 480-51C
5850-36C vs 470-46C

Load GPU Temperature - Furmark

5870-86C vs 480-92C
5850-76C vs 470-92C

Idle Power Consumption

5870-164W vs 480-190W
5850-163W vs 470-173W

Load Power Consumption - Furmark

5870-375W vs 480-479W
5850-307W vs 470-408W

Noise Levels ATI wins.

The Nvidia GTX400 series are OCed cards running to their limits to beat ATI 5800 series by a margin of 10 to 15 percent in performance. ATI 5800 series run cooler, with less power and noice and they can be OCed to match a similar performance.

No thanks Nvidia I'll stick with ATI for the moment.

Cheers.

HI guys,u know there R plenty of graphic cards here,but since CRYSIS 2 is on its way,which graphic card should be picked so that the game can played in good frame rates?

The problem with this card is that even the GTX 470 is equal to the 5850 according to some reviews (others say otherwise so it depends on the tests but still it is not far away...)

In other words if a GTX 470 is somewhat similar to the 5850 already how is then a GTX 460 supposed to even come close to a 5850?

Per Hansson said:
In other words if a GTX 470 is somewhat similar to the 5850 already how is then a GTX 460 supposed to even come close to a 5850?

I would've guessed it being between the 5830 and 5850 in both performance/price but they say otherwise /shurg...guess we'll just have to see. Can't wait to see those benchmarks vs ATI especially the sub $200 cards where they've been dominating.

Hopefully they wont sound like this thou...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfQOU3T0O3Q

Granted that might be neat if you play a flight sim =) .

Oh, no ..
PLS Nvidia PLS Stop..
I think u should stop release a GPU now..
And think how to make a GPU that fast, cool and low power Consumption...

This chip makes sense assuming yields are low and there are quite a few defects. This chip will have a third of its cores disabled, which is quite a bit, but is useful salvage.

I'm sure it will have lower power consumption than the other Fermi cards, but heat will depend on clock speed, and on the IHV's.

Still, I think it will likely be more successful than the 470 and 480.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back