Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti rumored to arrive on March 29, RTX 3070 Ti 16GB canceled

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Is the long-awaited arrival of the RTX 3090 Ti just a few weeks away? The latest rumor about the card that Nvidia still hasn’t talked about since CES 2022 claims it will arrive on March 29. The same poster also says that the RTX 3070 Ti 16GB has been canceled.

Nvidia confirmed the long-rumored RTX 3090 Ti during its CES keynote at the start of January. Senior VP Jeff Fisher announced some details, promising that more would be revealed before the month was out.

But February arrived without any word on the upcoming flagship. Nvidia did eventually give a statement about the situation: a confirmation that it had no information to share and would be in touch when it did.

We’d previously heard that the RTX 3090 Ti would launch on March 1, based on a listing for one of the cards from Asus. But it seems that was just a placeholder. The latest rumor comes from the Chiphell forums (via Videocardz), claiming the official release date is March 29.

The reasons for the RTX 3090 Ti’s delay—it was reportedly supposed to arrive on January 27—are believed to be over hardware/BIOS issues. The Chiphell poster says it’s been related to the 24GB of GDDR6X memory running at 21Gb/s, and resulted in the entire memory being replaced to address the problem.

The same poster also claims that the RTX 3070 Ti 16GB, which we’ve been hearing about since a week after Nvidia revealed the Ampere line in 2020, has been officially killed off by the company. We saw the same rumor back in October 2020, so it does seem like that card has been consigned to the unreleased-products graveyard.

If the RTX 3090 Ti rumor does prove true, it’ll be another boost for a graphics card market that is seeing signs of recovery. Prices and availability in Germany are at their best levels since the start of 2021, our own research shows improvements for new and used cards, and more GPUs are said to be on their way.

Permalink to story.

For those of us with a 3090 or 3080Ti, the 3090Ti will be unnecessary.
Just about anyone with a 3080 or less might want to consider it, but selling your current card will be difficult as prices decline.

However, I was in Microcenter this weekend and saw that a 3080Ti is still selling for $1899 ($100 more than I paid for my 3090FTW3 cards during Cyberpunk's release). Technically, the 3080Ti is a superior card to the 3090 with less VRAM, but it's still significantly high. The 3090Ti should launch between $1999 and $2199 - and it will likely be scalped.

Frankly I don't get it why nVidia bothers with 90Ti. OK, I get it to milk the gullible sure, but all those memory issues would be solved in an instant if 90Ti went with HBM(2). If anyone is on the market for VRAM bandwidth and speed then HBM is the only way to go. 99.9% of customers will never see the difference compared to normal 3090 - except enormous hole in the wallet. If reports are true then you can get 2 3090 MSRP for the price of one 3090Ti (theoretical MSRP as nVidia hasn't said a beep about it), which is beyond nuts.

Another card that only rich people can afford.
PC gaming is still a relatively cheap hobby. Motorsport, sailing, horse riding are all super expensive. I scuba dive a lot and spend thousands and thousands a year on it, far more than buying a 3090 Ti equipped PC. In fact I’m just flights alone in 2019 (last normal year we had) I spent about £4000. I have friends who do downhill mountain biking and some of them have bikes that cost £5000, none of us are particularly rich.

Personally I don’t value PC gaming enough to buy a 3090Ti. But if you do I don’t think the price leaves it to rich people only.

I love how they are still hiding the price. Cause it's going to be predatory because of the current market situation.

Customer: we need more affordable GPUs
Nobody: we need more overly expensive ti 👔 cards that suck the blood out of the market and our customers
NVidia: Introducing the new 3090 ti the BFBFGPU. We'll let you now about the price later cause you'll crucify us if we announce it during a press event.

Edit: had to add shirt with a tie. :joy:

So in Australia we have had 3070 Ti advertised for sale. I presumed they were already shipping.

Doh, they were 8GB cards of course, keep thinking it's a new product.

It would make more sense to release 4070 Ti with 16GB, will seem like a much bigger upgrade from the current 8GB 3070 Ti.

I feel Nvidia made a fatal mistake of using the GA102 chip for their RTX 3080 base model card for the sake of competing with AMD’s RDNA2. As a result, every single card in between the RTX 3090 and 3080 offers very insignificant improvement since there is little room in between for a decent spec bump. Since Nvidia’s Ampere is at a disadvantage from a clock speed perspective, it seems that their only option to compete was to wide.
Back to the topic of the RTX 3090 Ti, this is to me another pointless card, be it for gamers or professional usage. My opinion is that this card was meant for miners, which was why Nvidia did not bother to release it on time since crypto mining GPU demand is slowing down. And with it being release this late in the cycle, most hardware enthusiasts will not want to waste money buying this.

Last edited:
So in Australia we have had 3070 Ti advertised for sale. I presumed they were already shipping.

Doh, they were 8GB cards of course, keep thinking it's a new product.

It would make more sense to release 4070 Ti with 16GB, will seem like a much bigger upgrade from the current 8GB 3070 Ti.

If you look back historically, Nvidia has never been generous with VRAM. They always provide the bare minimal. And looking at the chips available, it is possible that the RTX 4070 series may be using the AD104 chip, while it is possible that the RTX 4080 will be using the AD103 chip instead of the top end AD102 chip like they are doing now on the GA102 chip. So if any, the likelihood is that we may only find 16GB on the GPU using the AD103 chip. I said may because they always have the option to offer 8GB VRAM, and you never know what they are capable of. Rest will be relegated to either 24GB, 12GB or 8GB.

https://videocardz.com/newz/geforce...ry-large-l2-caches-nvidias-own-infinity-cache

And yet in Warzone Tournaments (& many other competitive games), the Radeon 6900xt has higher frames and less lows. (higher consistent frametimes)

People are selling their overpriced gtx3090's... because it is not the best gaming card. The newer Radeon 6950xt will directly effect rtx3080ti's pricing. Which is a better situation for the consumers and trickle down pricing.

If you look back historically, Nvidia has never been generous with VRAM. They always provide the bare minimal. And looking at the chips available, it is possible that the RTX 4070 series may be using the AD104 chip, while it is possible that the RTX 4080 will be using the AD103 chip instead of the top end AD102 chip like they are doing now on the GA102 chip. So if any, the likelihood is that we may only find 16GB on the GPU using the AD103 chip. I said may because they always have the option to offer 8GB VRAM, and you never know what they are capable of. Rest will be relegated to either 24GB, 12GB or 8GB.

https://videocardz.com/newz/geforce...ry-large-l2-caches-nvidias-own-infinity-cache
Why would you use more when you don't have to? AMD loses often while having better specs on paper. You know why that is? Gamers whine about it so the time.... OPTIMIZATION!

Ampere gets better after 1080p vs 12 and 16GB Radeon cards. Don't you read the reviews???

Why would you use more when you don't have to? AMD loses often while having better specs on paper. You know why that is? Gamers whine about it so the time.... OPTIMIZATION!

Ampere gets better after 1080p vs 12 and 16GB Radeon cards. Don't you read the reviews???

I've been at 1440p for 15 years.... already explained to you that everyone in my clan has high-end rigs.

Price doesn't matter to me, performance does... & just like many of my clanmates, many of the Pro streamers were given 3080's and 3090's.. and have now bought 6900xt's with their own money..!

You are stuck back in 2019... and have not realized the entire game industry and those who make games, are using RDNA technology. Every single game developer for the new consoles are toughting and reveling in what the RDNA technology can do for their future games (coming out soon) that will be use of RDNA features... because RDNA is now the Industry Standard.

Again, learn to cope with reality... $1099 6950 beats or ties the 3090ti in nearly every game. Using less power...

Back