Nvidia RTX 4080 prices look a lot better in the US

midian182

Staff member
In brief: We're just over two weeks away from the official launch of the RTX 4080, which means some of the cards are already appearing on retailers' websites. The good news is that these initial AIB partner models are sticking close to Nvidia's MSRP; at least they are in the US.

Nvidia was originally going to launch two versions of the RTX 4080, a 16GB model and a cut-down 12GB card. But the backlash over releasing something with 4GB less VRAM, 25% fewer CUDA cores, and a narrower memory bus than the RTX 4080 16GB while pricing it at $900 saw Nvidia "unlaunch" the less powerful version and reimburse partners for the expense.

But the RTX 4080 16GB, now called just the RTX 4080, is still launching on November 16. Tom's Hardware spotted a PNY XLR8 Gaming Verto GeForce RTX 4080 on Newegg for $1,199.99, the same price as the Founders Edition. The site also lists an overclocked version of the same card with its boost clock pushed up to 2,550 MHz. There's no price included in the description, but we can expect it to be slightly more expensive.

While this is welcome news for US gamers getting their PCs ready for an RTX 4080, it seems the selling prices in other countries aren't as close to MSRP. As reported by VideoCardz, UK retailer LaptopsDirect has three models of the Palit RTX 4080 GameRock series listed. The cheapest is £1,450 ($1,665), while the most expensive is £1,529.97 ($1,757), or 20.5% more than the country's £1,269 ($1,458) MSRP.

European retailer Proshop is listing RTX 4080 cards in Finland. The country has a massive 24% VAT rate, meaning the official MSRP is high at €1,509 ($1,492). Still, a Inno3D RTX 4080 X3 is €1,620 ($1,602), while an Asus ROG Strix OC is €1,970 ($1,948).

Although the death of Ethereum mining is one of the factors that has improved graphics card pricing and availability enormously, high-demand items that sell out quickly will always attract scalpers. A quick look on eBay shows RTX 4090 cards selling from around $2,200 all the way up to $3,999. Don't be surprised to see the same thing happen with the RTX 4080.

Permalink to story.

Those prices aren't good anywhere you look. What a load of horseshit.

RTX 2080 MSRP - $700
RTX 3080 MSRP - $700
RTX 4080 MSRP - $1200

Almost a 175% markup over the previous models.....how is that price looking good? Screw you Nvidia. I hope you get bent over a barrel when AMD launches.

RTX 2080 MSRP - $700
RTX 3080 MSRP - $700
RTX 4080 MSRP - $1200

Almost a 175% markup over the previous models.....how is that price looking good? Screw you Nvidia. I hope you get bent over a barrel when AMD launches.
AMD are not shy when seeing opportunity. They are most likely to follow suit. The industry right now thinks all customers are id1ots who would pay anything to get their hands on the latest videocrap. And you know, they are not far off in their assessment.

Never let a good crysis go to waste :)
what looks bad for you this video cards can also looks like opportunity :)
opportunity to buy other things: SSD supposedly going down in price, mybe a good time to look at a monitor or 2 if the price is right, sure it's not a good time to buy processor/mobo either right now but you can take a look at power supplies like ATX 3 models see if they are going down you might need them later if not now/yet....what else let's see, could be a good time to buy some fans or coolers (for AM5 ?), some AIO's ? or build a open loop ? you can still get the 4090/7990XTX later, in a year or so im sure all of them will be going down :)

It's been more than a decade that I had an urge to game and back then I really wanted 60 fps with no micro stutter. But I preferred games with good gameplay. Loved the visual side of things but I was willing to live with 1080p high or even medium, not maxed out. My friend and I spent countless usually night hours racing in MX vs ATV, sharing a keyboard and doing really crazy stunts. Or doing some swat/terrorist action at CS. There was a time I'd flown Falcon 4 (all versions) and wanted the fast CPU and enough RAM to prevent bottleneck @ FLOT. Now I don't think it's worth my time (old grumpy guy).

Aside from this, I never had a machine that ran 120+ fps ultra settings. Can anyone tell me is there really a marginal difference gaming at 60 fps vs 100+ fps? I mean not in the 10% range difference, but higher?
That said, is it worth having to pay for a card the sum that we used to pay for a whole decent setup 15 years ago?

These prices that are absolutely insane, but people will pay them - especially if they keep trickling out cards rather than supplying sufficient for market demand.

AMD will surely follow suit with the RX7000 series too - they might be marginally cheaper, but they will generally aim for price parity with nVidia.

All thoughts of upgrading my RTX3070 that I bought in 2020 (unfortunately for £200 more than MSRP) are quickly dismissed by these prices

AMD are not shy when seeing opportunity. They are most likely to follow suit. The industry right now thinks all customers are id1ots who would pay anything to get their hands on the latest videocrap. And you know, they are not far off in their assessment.

And then you have articles stating these are good prices and reviews praising ultra high priced consumer cards…

How is $1199 price for a supposedly RTX 4070 equivalent be justified? But I am sure youtube princesses will simp for their lord Huang for such affordable fluff!
Because Nvidia is the darling of all news sites and writers.

Is like that company simply cannot do anything wrong, even though they do, especially how they are r@ping their customers.

Not even Apple gets way with such devotion by the media and they are also as untouchable.

I mean, explain this stupid article, its "reminding" us that this overpriced GPU will launch in two weeks, but somehow, the word AMD is not mentioned not even once, specially when RDNA3 event is a couple of days away.

I wish that I had a way to place writers like this on Ignore, so I dont even see their biased articles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because Nvidia is the darling of all news sites and writers.

Is like that company cannot do anything wrong, even though they do, especially how they are r@ping their customers.

Not even Apple got way with such devotion by the media and they are also as untouchable.

I mean, explain this stupid article, its "reminding" us that this overpriced GPU will launch in two weeks, but somehow, the word AMD is not mentioned not even once, specially when RDNA3 event is a couple of days away.

I wish that I had a way to place writers like this on Ignore, so I dont even see their biased articles.

Eff AMD. I bought the 480 card when it was good. I bought the 1900X back in the mid 2000's. I'd buy the 7000x series CPU were it the king. No, it's not. I have bought the 5900X when it came out. However, things changed:
- the pricing of AMD CPU is now higher than Intel's. Nope, not buying.
- the GPUs of 6xxx series were nowhere to be found. AMD did NOTHING last-gen. Why should I support them anymore?! They did EXACTLY as Nvidia. The gouged us with insane pricing and scarcity. Will definitely skip the current versions of CPU, GPU, and so on.
The same thing has to be done with smartphones, cars, etc.
You can't treat us like mindless sheep and throw us products that are overpriced (CPU/GPU from both AMD and Intel), are only supported for one generation of mobos (Intel), gouge up the prices of the high-end GPU to 2k (NVidia), ask 40k for a car which is theoretically "green" but practically will work for 10 years and then the battery is gone and the electronics fail.
Not to mention the "unrepairable" phones, tablets, laptops which have soldered batteries, RAM or screens and can't be fixed at all.
Do you remember HTC? Unrepairable phone. Their fate should be shared by ALL the smartphone producers which cut features out and provide zero manuals and parts (headphone jack, headphones, charger: Apple), Samsung soldering in batteries, and so on.

Well, if thats how were are already thinking about them, then by all means, lets give Intel and Nvidia money, see how that went (with Intel) and how its going (with Nvidia).

the pricing of AMD CPU is now higher than Intel's.
Thats on Intel, not on AMD and its only showing you how dirty Intel is. When they were on top, we got r@ped by them and keep in 4 core hell for a decade. Yeah, no thanks.
the GPUs of 6xxx series were nowhere to be found.
Funny enough, I was able to get a 6900XT at MSRP on their site. What did nvidia do on those same days? they closed their online shop and proceeded to sell directly to miners which then they proceeded to screw over by gimping their drivers.

The gouged us with insane pricing and scarcity.
Again, I was able to buy one from their site and the price was high, but still a lot lower than nvidia offering, which was US$500 to US$1K more but not double the performance, except on RT, which to me, is currently a gimmick, instead of a plus.
The rest of your points, many of them are correct, but you forgot to add all the technologies that nvidia loves to release that conviniently only works with their hardware, hence acting as a lock to keep you locked into their hardware and one of the biggest FU that they have done is the DLSS 3.0 support.

The last point that I can make is that out of 3 evils, I decided to support the least evil of them all, which is AMD.

The real price is 700 dollars. The other extra dollars go to the wallet of Huang or whatever the name of the Nvidia CEO. Ridiculous prices for what is, after all, a toy. I would never pay that for a 080 card. It is a blatant robbery.

RTX 2080 MSRP - $700
RTX 3080 MSRP - $700
RTX 4080 MSRP - $1200

I think you meant "almost a 75% markup..."

A 175% markup would be closer to $1900.

The real price is 700 dollars. The other extra dollars go to the wallet of Huang or whatever the name of the Nvidia CEO. Ridiculous prices for what is, after all, a toy. I would never pay that for a 080 card. It is a blatant robbery.
Nah, 700 is still too high.

I would say 750 or maybe 800 for a 4090Ti or RX 7900XTX.
The rest should be of course, lower than 700.

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll see what AMD does. If they follow suit, goodbye this entire generation. I will continue to play with my nice 6900XT, which is more than enough for the current games. Nobody needs 3000 fps.

Back