Nvidia Shield price dropped to $299, arrives on June 27th

Jos

Staff

nvidia shield

Nvidia has shared a couple of updates on its upcoming Shield gaming handheld. Specifically, the “end of June” shipping estimate has now been pinned down to exactly one week from now on June 27, while an update to the device’s retail price means it’ll be $50 cheaper than originally planned. The company says the price drop comes in response to customer feedback saying Nvidia would have ‘a home run’ in their hands if priced at $299.

Whether some of that feedback came in the form of low pre-order numbers is unknown but it wouldn’t be that surprising to see such price sensitivity with so many gaming options being announced of late.

As it stands right now, the Shield is still $50 more than a PlayStation Vita and $100 cheaper than the upcoming PlayStation 4. Meanwhile, other Android-based console alternatives like Ouya are going for a bargain base price of $100, or $0 with a $6.99 monthly subscription in the case of GamePop -- which claims to support iOS games as well.

Nvidia’s Shield is based on the new Tegra 4 mobile chip, and comes in the shape of a console gaming controller with a 5-inch 1,280x720 capacitive touch screen attached to it. Tegra’s four CPU cores and 72 graphics cores support a maximum resolution of 3200 x 2000 pixels, however, so games can be played at full HD on a TV.

In terms of software the Shield will ship with an un-skinned, "pure" version of Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean, and as such it should be able to receive any updates Google releases in the future without much delay.

In addition to running Android games, the Shield can also stream games from your GeForce-equipped PC to the controller via Wi-Fi, where you can play them directly on the small screen or output to a TV. Paired with Steam’s Big Screen mode this means you can navigate your library and launch games without moving back to your PC.

Those who preordered the Shield prior to the price update will only be charged $300.

Permalink to story.

"Those who preordered the Shield prior to the price update will only be charged $300"
That's still $400 to much in my book.

I think if they market this to kids and teens it will be successful. The price will eventually drop in the future. I'm even thinking that it will be nice for my nephew for Christmas, but it is still too pricey. The screen also looks like if it takes a fall it will come right off.

Neat tech, but you need a new Nvidia gfx card to use it to it's full potential, so it's a $600-$700 handheld. 3DS is a better buy if you're in the market for a handheld. But if you're wealthy, then go nuts!

Serious Q: Since it runs Android, are there any AAA games being released on it, a la PS Vita style games? Or is it just going to play slightly-more-demanding Tegra-Zone games and stream from your GPU?

Found answer:
Nvidia’s Tegrazone will be the main storefront for Shield-optimized games -- currently there’s 76 of them including Max Payne and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Naturally, the Google Play store will also be available for a vast catalog of apps and games that aren’t featured on Nvidia’s storefront.
So it's pretty much an Android handheld.

Yeah but the the games are between $0 and $10 most are around $5-$7.

How much are 3DS games and Vita games....?

Neat tech, but you need a new Nvidia gfx card to use it to it's full potential, so it's a $600-$700 handheld.

Let's consider the people who are interested in playing remote games from their PC:

- If they already have a GeForce GTX 650 or better, they don't need to pay more.
- If they are hardcore AMD fans, they won't buy an NVIDIA product anyway.
- If they have a card that's not compatible and are interested, they will have to pay a minimum of $110 (Newegg price for a GTX 650, perhaps less elsewhere), and more if they have something powerful and want to match it (or the price of a new PC with a GTX 650, which could be cheaper).
- If they have a laptop, they're screwed no matter what they have. They'd have to buy a desktop PC.

For me $150 (GeForce 650 Ti Boost) should give a decent performance boost over my Radeon 5850, so if I bought a Shield the total would be $450. But hey, I'd also get an upgrade to my PC.

As for games, I assume that if the Android consoles have some measure of success more console style Android games will appear, and others will be adapted. There are quite a few games with virtual controllers which would work better with a real controller.

Back