Nvidia teases RTX 3000 'Ampere' GPU launch event

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Matthews

Staff member
Highly anticipated: Nvidia's teasing a big event later this month. It's a likely possibility that the new RTX 3000-series cards will be unveiled to celebrate the 21st anniversary of GeForce. The new cards are expected to provide a huge bump in performance compared to Turing... and cost even more.

Nvidia seems to be teasing some special event for August 31st. Its official Twitter account tweeted out a video of a star going supernova with the hashtag #UltimateCountdown. Additionally, the account's cover photo has been changed to a picture showing the exploded star and mentions "21 days. 21 years."

The obvious indication is that Nvidia is prepping for some big "explosive" news on that day. Avid PC enthusiasts may recognize August 31st as the 21st anniversary of the announcement of the original GeForce 256 graphics card. While this could just be some anniversary event, there's reason to believe that the company may in fact launch its new Ampere cards that day.

Just last month, we heard rumors that Nvidia is discontinuing its high-end Turing cards (RTX 2070, 2080, their Super variants, as well as the RTX 2080 Ti). This is presumably to make room for the RTX 3080 and 3090 cards, though that may also mean pretty nice price drops for those who aren't interested in Ampere.

While we don't know (yet) how Ampere will compare to Turing, it's safe to say that it will be both powerful and expensive.

The flagship RTX 3090 is rumored to feature 25GB of GDDR6X RAM on a 384-bit memory interface. Anyone interested in picking that card will likely have a much thinner wallet after purchase. This is all just speculation of course, but what better way to celebrate the first GeForce GPU than to launch the most powerful version yet.

Permalink to story.

I was really excited last generation...but these games aren't demanding enough to make me extremely excited for the new generation.

I'll wait till the highest-end 3000 gaming card is available and buy it solely to make Youtube videos of it.

Long time lurker. First time poster.

I am with Quantum on this one. I don't have a 2080 ti, but I don't exactly feel wanting for power with my 2080 and 2070 Super. For me at least, I need to see an actual RTX uplift, which might happen. And the devs need to actually implement notable ray/path-tracing. Do that and call me interested.

And I don't care about price. My old 1070 still owns at 1080p. We are not hurting for compute here. There are plenty of options at the low end. Make the 3080 ti 2500 bucks and 3080 1k. Just make it worth it. And I will get the 3080. And Quantum will get the 3080 ti. <smiley face>

Peace.

Last edited:
It's true if you want the best of the best and can afford it. Not all of us are broke.
So not being broke means you ought to waste money? I think a lot of people who weren't broke went for the 2070S, 2060 or Radeon 5700XT this generation. They're really not that far off of the 2080 ti experience except at 4k but less than half the price. That's a new monitor right there, or (god forbid) money that can be spent elsewhere than pc hardware. Just because people want price/performance doesn't mean they're broke.

It's true if you want the best of the best and can afford it. Not all of us are broke.

Best of the best would be the Titan at $2,500, assuming that doesn't increase in price next gen as well. I wouldn't call people looking for cards below that price point poor, I'd say they are 99.9999% of the market. Given American's propensity to buy lavish things without actually having the long term funds outlaying that much cash isn't a sign of not being poor, it's just pure stupidity in most cases.

You can always tell the caliber of a person based on how they spend their money. The amount they have or the amount they spend is irrelevant.

Its too bad they will be expensive, but we need these on the market so manufacturers will make even better big fast 4k monitors (bigger than 28"). 4K gaming/computing is still lagging. It takes a lot of horsepower to push 4K with the kind of headroom you would want when you buy a new card. I have held on to 1080p waiting for a future-resistant card and monitor. We are still not "there" yet.

Prices will come down. Maybe a 4060 will be perfect for many here... And of course the new consoles will drive the market as well.

Its too bad they will be expensive, but we need these on the market so manufacturers will make even better big fast 4k monitors (bigger than 28"). 4K gaming/computing is still lagging. It takes a lot of horsepower to push 4K with the kind of headroom you would want when you buy a new card. I have held on to 1080p waiting for a future-resistant card and monitor. We are still not "there" yet.

Prices will come down. Maybe a 4060 will be perfect for many here... And of course the new consoles will drive the market as well.

You can buy 4K 144 Hz 4ms gtg HDR1000 certified monitors right now. That's about as future proof as you are going to get. It's just going to cost you $2.5K.

FYI you don't really want anything larger than a 27" for gaming. 24" is technically ideal and what eSports players use. I don't see any other reason why'd you want a "fast" monitor other than gaming.

It's not graphics cards that are holding back oversized monitors from achieving low input lag, response times, and refresh rates. The bigger the monitor the harder it's going to be to get better gaming properties.

I understand the debate, but this really does not come down to being poor or not. Assuming you have the money to buy a card, it is a simple cost analysis really. I set aside 10% of my meager freelance income for tech, so 3k. Hence why a $2500 card would make no sense to buy for me (need to save for the new AMD chips!). And for now, much as we all hate it, nVidia makes the best stuff. I don't see RTG or Big Navi changing that, though it would be amazing if they did.

And if nVidia continues to own AMD, which they will, in that sense we have no choice. But like I said, a $230 card will own at 1080p. You step beyond that to 1440 or 3280, you are already in luxury mode.

They start making a xx60 a grand, and I will step back. Not based on chagrin, but based on cost analysis.

Peace.

The most expensive graphics card generation by a huge margin guaranteed.
We'll see. Oh sure we might have new records for ultra-luxury halo products that make up well under 10% of the total volume. But as far as what the average consumer spends? I did not get the sense that the higher priced RTX 20xx cards did great business for Nvidia; the US and global economy is precarious and could get much, much worse; the lesson from the CPU side is that AMD's focus on value is successfully taking Intel's market share; and there will be competition from a new console generation.

On the positive side for higher prices, I do feel more people are placing more value on video games, a result of both natural expansion and the pandemic leading to higher priorities placed on at-home entertainment.

We'll see. Oh sure we might have new records for ultra-luxury halo products that make up well under 10% of the total volume. But as far as what the average consumer spends? I did not get the sense that the higher priced RTX 20xx cards did great business for Nvidia; the US and global economy is precarious and could get much, much worse; the lesson from the CPU side is that AMD's focus on value is successfully taking Intel's market share; and there will be competition from a new console generation.

On the positive side for higher prices, I do feel more people are placing more value on video games, a result of both natural expansion and the pandemic leading to higher priorities placed on at-home entertainment.
nVidia's next pitch for the high end cards is going to be squarely at us, the enthusiasts. The new consoles are going to be what? 500 bucks? 600? 700? It does not even matter really. Compared to nVidia's prices, they are all cheap.

Your comment about ultra-luxury is the main point, way I see it. Most of us, that would actually take the time to comment here, are set hardware wise. We are already living the luxury you speak of. At least I hope so.

And no, the average human intellect did not suddenly discover the worth of games. Its a trend. It will pass...sadly.

Peace

These expensive Nvidia GPUs are definitely worth it. I can easily afford them, if anyone thinks I’m an ***** for that then they are just jealous and stupid.

If you think Nvidia GPUs are expensive have a look at other hobbies. I’m heavily into scuba diving and in any given year I spend more on that than I do in 10 years of buying top end hardware (I don’t upgrade every year). It’s the same with any motorsport, watersports etc.

Yeah sick of this shaming people for spending $1400 on a GPU because you can’t afford it. This is a tech site and we are enthusiasts, get over it.

Last edited:
These expensive Nvidia GPUs are definitely worth it. I can easily afford them, if anyone thinks I’m an ***** for that then they are just jealous and stupid.

If you think Nvidia GPUs are expensive have a look at other hobbies. I’m heavily into scuba diving and in any given year I spend more on that than I do in 10 years of buying top end hardware (I don’t upgrade year). It’s the same with any motorsport, watersports etc.

Yeah sick of this shaming people for spending $1400 on a GPU because you can’t afford it. This is a tech site and we are enthusiasts, get over it.
You do you man. Get the most powerful card you can afford. And have a fn blast with it.

If you think Nvidia GPUs are expensive have a look at other hobbies. I’m heavily into scuba diving and in any given year I spend more on that than I do in 10 years of buying top end hardware (I don’t upgrade year). It’s the same with any motorsport, watersports etc.

None of this is an actual justification for the price. This is a tech site and we do discuss all factors involved including price. How the price relates to your other hobbies is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is the price of high end GPUs has completely blown out and that is relevant to enthusiasts. Deal with it.

This would be a great time for congress to get their act together and send out that second wave of stimulus checks. If not, so many of us will not be able to afford an RTX 3090Ti and that’s just not fair.

It's going to be expensive. I can easily afford it but have better things to spend my money on. But, nobody cares if some of us here can afford it. That wasn't the point. Best of the best is always pricey. NV makes sure it's usually doubly pricey.

None of this is an actual justification for the price. This is a tech site and we do discuss all factors involved including price. How the price relates to your other hobbies is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is the price of high end GPUs has completely blown out and that is relevant to enthusiasts. Deal with it.
I don’t need to justify the price. If you think it’s too much don’t buy it. But don’t go around saying people are stupid because they are willing to spend more than you.

It is absolutely not stupid to buy these cards. But it definitely is stupid to go around saying that people are if they do.

I don’t need to justify the price. If you think it’s too much don’t buy it. But don’t go around saying people are stupid because they are willing to spend more than you.

It is absolutely not stupid to buy these cards. But it definitely is stupid to go around saying that people are if they do.

It's objectively bad value compared to prior GPU generations. Price on the top end (Titan) more than doubled ($1,200 to $2,500) and this trickled down to all the lower tier cards.

When you make the claim " These expensive Nvidia GPUs are definitely worth it " you are implying that you have some valid points behind your reasoning beside "money is not a factor". Saying something is "worth it" and following it up with "money doesn't matter to me!" are clearly contradictory ideas given that "worth it" implies you are getting enough bang for your buck. Worth it to you, yes. Worth it to others, you have yet to provide any supporting evidence to support that.

It's one thing to buy these cards, it's another to defend their ever increasing prices claiming everyone who can't afford them is poor. All you are doing is perpetuating PC elitism in the worst way possible. No one said you had to reply to this thread and start labeling people who can't afford these are poor and no one said you had to make promotional statements implying these cards were good value. I do not need to be excused for calling your dubious statements out.

You can buy 4K 144 Hz 4ms gtg HDR1000 certified monitors right now. That's about as future proof as you are going to get. It's just going to cost you $2.5K.

FYI you don't really want anything larger than a 27" for gaming. 24" is technically ideal and what eSports players use. I don't see any other reason why'd you want a "fast" monitor other than gaming.

It's not graphics cards that are holding back oversized monitors from achieving low input lag, response times, and refresh rates. The bigger the monitor the harder it's going to be to get better gaming properties.
I'm quite happy with my 3440x1440p 34" with a 120 Hz refresh rate. I don't play eSports, I play shooters, horror games and some parkour. This is the single most impactful upgrade I've made.

Even a 2080 Ti can't reach 120 fps in demanding titles at this resolution (it's not even 4K!). So yes, I do plan to get the 3080/3080 Ti, whether anyone approves of its value or not.

So not being broke means you ought to waste money? I think a lot of people who weren't broke went for the 2070S, 2060 or Radeon 5700XT this generation. They're really not that far off of the 2080 ti experience except at 4k but less than half the price. That's a new monitor right there, or (god forbid) money that can be spent elsewhere than pc hardware. Just because people want price/performance doesn't mean they're broke.
But I'm not aiming for "not that far off". I want all the performance from my 120 Hz, 3440x1440p monitor that I can. I plan to use it for a long time. I believe the only card likely to get me there will be the 3080 Ti.

I don't know who came up with a $2500 guess for the 3080 Ti, but Nvidia isn't going to charge nearly that much. That's over double the 2080 Ti, and ray tracing has had a few years to mature. Ray tracing and DLSS are what caused the price hike from the 10XX series, not just this "NGreedia" theory that some folks claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back