Oculus VR will cancel your pre-order if you try to sell your Rift on eBay

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Oculus VR developers, listen up. If you've pre-ordered the latest Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 and plan to make a quick buck by reselling it on eBay for a higher price before it ships your way, think again. Oculus VR is watching and if they catch you in the act, they'll cancel your order.

As noted in a report from TechCrunch, a member of the Oculus VR forum created a thread in which he pointed to an eBay user with multiple listings for his pre-ordered Rift DK2 kit. As another member noted, it's against eBay's rules to post an item for sale that's more than 30 days from being in the seller's hands.

A few days later, a member of the Oculus VR team responded to the thread saying they found the guy's order and cancelled it. The Oculus community manager, who goes by the name cybereality, said they don't allow resale of the development kit. What's more, they also don't provide warranty support on second-hand sales so in the event you do purchase a "used" model, you're on your own if it breaks.

The same information can also be found in the FAQ on the Oculus website.

Just to clear up any confusion, Oculus' customer service lead explained in a separate thread that the information from eBay alone wasn't enough to take action. The team conducted their own investigation with tools at their disposal to make sure there wasn't a false positive.

Either way, it sounds like a slippery slope for all involved. Do you think Oculus is in the right for cancelling such pre-orders?

Permalink to story.

It's obvious their intension was to make a huge profit, on something that wasn't in their hands already. Obviously it's going to be a question of, would such things be fair to all such orders not just Oculus. These are dev kits and not a public thing, so an easy thing to make a quick profit from.

Definitely... if you put in the effort to get a dev kit, at least use it!
Well I think the point is if someone puts up a listing on eBay, then they are announcing how much they really didn't need the dev kit. And therefor the kit should go to someone else, that will actually use the kit as it was designed to be. Anyone thinking they will make a quick buck, is only standing in the way of progress.

And if you recall, the announcement in the beginning was that they were wanting to keep prices down as low as possible.

To be honest if someone wants to spend a 500% premium when they can wait a extra few month to get one then let them, but I do agree it is wrong but still its like cancelling a phone contract because you only got the phone to sell when it got in your hands.

Well I think the point is if someone puts up a listing on eBay, then they are announcing how much they really didn't need the dev kit. And therefor the kit should go to someone else, that will actually use the kit as it was designed to be. Anyone thinking they will make a quick buck, is only standing in the way of progress.

And if you recall, the announcement in the beginning was that they were wanting to keep prices down as low as possible.
Nice way to put it!

But would they really be a quick buy? has anyone got there's yet? just wondering if its worth ordering one now or will it take like a year for them to get to me

Since Facebook bought them and money is no longer a limiting factor, do they actually need pre-orders to continue the project? Probably not, but then I don't know what their budget is. At this point, I think their main goal is getting feedback from developers and getting more games involved in VR. If you are not a developer, I'd say wait till a refined version is publicly released.

Back