Odd CPU usage problem, above 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just last week I started having a services.exe error shutting down my computer, and boy did I think that was a big problem. Well, now I can't even use my computer when that doesn't happen, because my cpu usage went all wonky on me. As of last night my CPU usage was normal, and when I woke up there was a bluescreen. Happens every now and then on this piece of crap, so I didn't pay mind. Restarted...bluescreened within the first two minutes. Same goes for the next 3 times I restarted.

I go in safe mode and it still happens. I find out that my CPU usage is through the roof, it was at 140% then back down to 5%, with absolutely nothing being used. Also, the graph itself looks a little weird, see for yourself:

taskai7.png

When I tried to run a game, the PF usage (I don't even know what that is...) jumped up to 1.58 GB! This is truely odd. I cleaned off my memory stick using the eraser trick and re-slotted it, to no avail.

What the hell? How did it go to 140%?

Either you run WAY too many programs at once or you have something wrong with your CPU

Hey,

140% CPU usage is a bit funky. I have never seen that before. I recommend format and reinstall.

Hope that helps.

What process is using that CPU time? Sort the processes tab by the CPU column and see.

The number goes above 100% because you have a dual-core processor and you have set the task manager to show only one graph for two processors.

Turns out it was a the trojan known as Backdoor.Rustock.B, it's been crashing my system constantly the past two days with the same problem every single time. I took an hour reading various cures and found the easiest one was to download rustbfix and run it in safe mode. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back