Onboard audio not sorking after cleaning PC with compressed air

5n1FFl35

Ok, so I dusted my PC for the first time today, after about 7 months since I first built it. I used a can of compressed air. Before I cleaned it everything was working fine (speakers, headphones, mic) but after I plugged the PC back in and turned it on no audio was working. I tired with my wired headphones and Bluetooth Speakers but got nothing I checked in Control Panel -> Sound with music playing and no audio was detected Screenshot (38).png
and also checked with OBS which also detected nothing
Screenshot (37).png
I then tested my mic and got a notification telling me it was broken even though it was working this morningScreenshot (36).png
I restarted my PC multiple times and reinstalled my Realtek HD Audio drivers neither of which helped. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Hardware:
Mobo - MSI B350 tomahawk
GPU - GTX 1060 6GB
CPU - Ryzen 7 1700 (with stock cooler)
RAM - 16GB Cosair Vengeance LPX
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I didn't use a static wrist band a) because I don't have one (I probably should get one) and b) because I didn't do too much I only cleaned the dust filters and and the power supply shroud so I assumed it would have been ok since I wasn't going to be touching the mobo or any other sensitive parts but could that have been the problem? If the mobo is affected by static charge does it not kill the whole board and not just one part or did I make a big mistake? And I don't have a dedicated sound card I'm just using the on board audio

I had to mess around with plugging headphone into front jack and then removing them in order to get speakers recognized. Something mixed up with Realtek and WIn10.
My PC is recognizing my headphones and speaker but just not picking up any sound. My mic is a USB mic and I tried unplugging and plugging it back into different ports. When I try to record it says the mic is broke but when I plug it back in it recognizes the mic again but the same thing happens again when I try to record. Thanks for the suggestion :)

UPDATE: I also troubleshot audio and got a thing that said "Audio Devices Not Responding not fixed" "Restart audio services Completed" "Both the Windows Audio and Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be runnning for audio to work correctly. At least one of these services isn't responding". So I went into services.msc and I made sure that both Windows Audio and Windows Audio End Point Builder were "running" and start up type set to "automatic". I then turned off and back on and then restarted both of them. I still have no audio if that's of any help to anyone.

Hi Here's link By MS? Be sure to click on the drop down list and try those things.https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026994/windows-fix-sound-problems
PS let us know how things go! Do you have a restore point restore to before you cleaned your PC?
I tried these except for the last one because I couldn't find it and they didn't seem to fix it. I didn't manually create a restore point before hand so unless windows did one itself like an autosave type thing, I don't have one but I'll have a look and see if I can, thanks. I did send an email to my dads cousin last night (who had previously helped my with a PC problem I had when I was building it (It wouldn't boot because I had to reset the cmos battery )) and he said I may need to get a dedicated sound card if the mobo one is dead,Capture.PNG but my mic is a USB mic and my Bluetooth is a USB Bluetooth receiver I was wondering would they still use the sound card even though they're not directly connected t it?

(y) I'll let you know how it goes and if I get it fixed

Sounds hardware related.
Could be wrong.
Windows 10 could be at fault.
Macrium Reflect really helps for issues like this.
I know that sounds like closing the barn door after the horse escapes.

Sounds hardware related.
Could be wrong.
Windows 10 could be at fault.
Macrium Reflect really helps for issues like this.
I know that sounds like closing the barn door after the horse escapes.
Yeah I'm going to get a sound card and see if that fixes it. I'll have a look and see if it is windows related before that though, thanks for the advice.

UPDATE: the sound card arrived yesterday and I put it into the PCIE slot, installed the drivers pressed play... still no audio :/
last thing I'll try before getting a new mobo is reinstall windows and hope that fixes it

UPDATE: the sound card arrived yesterday and I put it into the PCIE slot, installed the drivers pressed play... still no audio :/
last thing I'll try before getting a new mobo is reinstall windows and hope that fixes it
Thah's a real bummer. Thanks for the update. Hoping reinstall solves your issue. Fingers crossed!

Perhaps foolish, but did you check every possible volume level. I had similar on system after it was fully 'cold' off - turned out the volume was "zero".
As far as I know I have. I've checked every where I that I know of but I may be missing something, I'll have another look

Does Device Manager have anything to say about sound devices or USBs? yellow triangles? "Playing Audio" troubleshooter in Win10? You have several nVidia Audio devices which are grayed out "not plugged in" - might you have some 'hidden' devices, extra USBs, etc, which you want to disable/remove - check for hidden in device manager (view tab - near bottom of listing) - consider removing USB and letting PnP discover them anew. Maybe nVidia driver needs reinstall after removing older drivers with DDU.

Does Device Manager have anything to say about sound devices or USBs? yellow triangles? "Playing Audio" troubleshooter in Win10? You have several nVidia Audio devices which are grayed out "not plugged in" - might you have some 'hidden' devices, extra USBs, etc, which you want to disable/remove - check for hidden in device manager (view tab - near bottom of listing) - consider removing USB and letting PnP discover them anew. Maybe nVidia driver needs reinstall after removing older drivers with DDU.
I probably should have checked back here once more before reinstalling windows because that sounds like it probably have worked but I reinstalled windows yesterday and everything seems to be working fine now, but thanks for the help :)

UPDATE: I ended up just having to reinstall Windows and thankfully that fixed it, but thanks to everyone who helped me out. It was my first time posting on this forum and it was a great first experience :)

Back