Only able to connect to internet via ethernet cable

Alright, I'll make it short but informative; I can't connect to the internet without an ethernet cable. I have tried pressing the laptop's "WiFi" button, but nothing has happened (The light didn't even change), I have tried rebooting and going into BIOS to see if there was on option there (nothing), I have tried going into Device Manager, and under "Network Cards" I got 4 options (I believe I had 4 options, though now I have only 3) first I tried to deactivate it and the reactivate it, but that just made it not work at all, and when I got home and got my connection back, I tried to update the drivers (which is when I noticed I only had 3, because I was at school when all 4 showed up, so I didn't have connection to update them) but it just said that they were all up to date, I have tried using the windows recovering tool to go back before the problem occurred (Though I did get an error the first time due to my AVG being up so it couldn't complete, but after that I tried doing it again with AVG off, but the situation didn't change), and I know the problem isn't with the router, as the problem occurs with different WiFi's. In the beginning, it would only say "can't connect to the internet" over and over again, but now it won't even show the available WiFi networks in the area.

Any help is much appreciated.

Any suggestions at all? if you require more information in order to come up with a solution, just tell me what you need an ill try my best to figure it out

I suggest you go to Device Manager and look under Network adapters. My laptop is showing four devices there. Check for something that says Wireless WiFi. If you can't see it, it's likely been deleted. You would then have to visit the website for the maker of your laptop to download the missing device driver. It's also just possible that the WiFi has died.

Enter the BIOS on bootup and see if you can turn on the WiFi there. You'll have to find out first which key you need to press as the laptop boots up.

Last edited:
I suggest you go to Device Manager and look under Network adapters. My laptop is showing four devices there. Check for something that says Wireless WiFi. If you can't see it, it's likely been deleted. You would then have to visit the website for the maker of your laptop to download the missing device driver. It's also just possible that the WiFi has died.
I have tried downloading all of the driver available on the website (10), but the situation didn't change.

If the wireless adapter isn't showing in Device Manager my guess is that the switch is faulty or the WiFi card has died.

Could you post the make and model of the laptop? Does the wifi light remain on whatever you do with the button?

Could you post the make and model of the laptop? Does the wifi light remain on whatever you do with the button?
From the HP auto detection tool:

HP Pavilion g6-1340so Notebook PC
Model #: A8W79EA

And I use Windows 7 64 bit.
And for the light, the only time it is orange (off) is during the bootup, and after it turns blue (on) when it shows the login screen, it will stay blue no matter how many times I press the button, but will obviously turn off completely (no color) if I turn off the computer. And then the cycle repeats.

There's a recent post on the HP Support site that may help.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wirele...rivers-for-HP-pavilion-g6-1340so/td-p/4987704

Wireless driver sp57965.exe
Bluetooth driver sp55079.exe

See if installing the two of them does any good.

So.. after opening the back of my laptop, I found out that my network card's screws somehow came off, so naturally the network card itself was nudged out, so after re-attaching it, and then installing the drivers, I managed to get it to work. Thank you for all your support! it helped me quite a bit!

Back