Only HDMI audio works

My problem is is that none of the 3.5 audio jacks on my pc work.
Both motherboard and front header connections do not work so I uninstalled realtek drivers.
But I reinstalled them and while it shows up in my control panel it does not show up in device manager.
The only options for audio output are HDMI connections.
And no matter how many times or what variation of realtek driver I download, it just refuses to work.
My specs are as follows
ROG strix x370 f
Ryzen 5 1600X
ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING
16 gb of ram
Please help I have tried absolutely everything.

SOAP BOX
First, know that the audio alternatives presented by Microsoft Windows (7,8,10) are a welter of confusion. Good advice for one situation will not help another though they are 'almost' the same.

Audio is managed in several places in Device Manager and as you use the alternatives (Realtek, Creative, nVidia, DisplayPort, HDMI, SPDIF, USB, plus your choice of 2 to 7 3.5mm ports front, back, and on card, etc, etc). There is even an exotic version of DVI which carries audio. These alternatives can be muted in several places, defaults can be changed or even disappear - especially when there is an OS update or a configuration change - or a change in programs.. or drivers. With all this variation there must be a special cadre of devs devoted to splicing this up ever time a new standard or driver appears.... heaven help them.

Now, for your problem, I am sure I 'know' the answer, but I do not know which one will work for you. Facing that, I suggest that you remove the HDMI cable and remove the HDMI driver - then reboot so the Realtek can be 'discovered' by the ever hopeful PnP when you do a restart. Once you have that working again, try to mark it as Default in Sound Settings.

When you then reintroduce HDMI, it may go 'nuts' again. You (hopefully) can DISABLE the HDMI audio in Device Manager / Sound Video Game Controllers / {nVidia/AMD} High Definition Audio Device. If the video card audio device is DISABLED, it will not (hopefully) reinstall whenever you restart (but bets are off if an OS update).

If that does not work, then here is more reading:
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000208.htm
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000923.htm

Let us know how it goes. Hopefully Microsoft will get around to better solutions.

Last edited:
SOAP BOX
First, know that the audio alternatives presented by Microsoft Windows (7,8,10) are a welter of confusion. Good advice for one situation will not help another though they are 'almost' the same.

Ok, so I tried what you said. and it did not work
I am on windows 10 by the way.
I uninstalled the hdmi audio driver then restarted my pc and the hdmi driver was just there again.
Im truly lost on this man

Audio is managed in several places in Device Manager and as you use the alternatives (Realtek, Creative, nVidia, DisplayPort, HDMI, SPDIF, USB, plus your choice of 2 to 7 3.5mm ports front, back, and on card, etc, etc). There is even an exotic version of DVI which carries audio. These alternatives can be muted in several places, defaults can be changed or even disappear - especially when there is an OS update or a configuration change - or a change in programs.. or drivers. With all this variation there must be a special cadre of devs devoted to splicing this up ever time a new standard or driver appears.... heaven help them.

Now, for your problem, I am sure I 'know' the answer, but I do not know which one will work for you. Facing that, I suggest that you remove the HDMI cable and remove the HDMI driver - then reboot so the Realtek can be 'discovered' by the ever hopeful PnP when you do a restart. Once you have that working again, try to mark it as Default in Sound Settings.

When you then reintroduce HDMI, it may go 'nuts' again. You (hopefully) can DISABLE the HDMI audio in Device Manager / Sound Video Game Controllers / {nVidia/AMD} High Definition Audio Device. If the video card audio device is DISABLED, it will not (hopefully) reinstall whenever you restart (but bets are off if an OS update).

If that does not work, then here is more reading:
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000208.htm
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000923.htm

Let us know how it goes. Hopefully Microsoft will get around to a better solutions.

Back