Open Forum: Your favorite product from CES 2018?

David Matthews

Staff member

CES is one of the largest trade shows in the world. Every January, companies unveil their vision for the future of technology and some of these can be pretty... interesting. This year is no different where we've seen plenty of self-driving cars, a new electric car, and several gigantic displays from Samsung, Nvidia, and LG.

However, my favorite product from CES was probably Razer's Project Linda.

The whole "using a smartphone to power a laptop" concept isn't new. HP, Microsoft, and Asus have all tried to varying degrees of failure. Regardless, I think Razer's attempt is probably the best implementation.

I love the concept of being able to simply plop my phone into a laptop and use it to simultaneously power the laptop and use it as a trackpad. Project Linda may never arrive to market, but with the increasing power of smartphones, I can definitely imagine a world where we no longer buy ultrabooks or even Chromebooks. We simply buy a smartphone and a laptop "case". Now we just need to get to a point where mobile operating systems are as capable as desktops.

That leads to this Weekend Open Forum: What was your favorite CES product or announcement and do you think it has any chance of coming to market?

Permalink to story.

Favorite product: Enermax Tytan

Reason: Maybe other manufacturers will add the power meter as a feature in their high-end PSUs. Though, I heard EVGA announced some type of reactor of some sort, so maybe we'll just see big numbers in 2018 PSUs. This will come to market because crypto mining is going to be here for quite a while.

120Hz TV thing. They may call it monitor but if it's too big for desk use it's TV to me. Can't remember when I used my current TV to watch "TV", I watch stuff from computer, netflix or youtube. Closest thing to classic use of TV is when I watch blurays but even with crt-tv I did the same thing just with older services and pirated anime as there was no paid option for that.

I might not buy one right at release but it puts pressure on "normal" TV makers to stop putting bullshit in "game mode" and not giving any input for beyond 60Hz signal even if the panel was faster. Sony should make a TV with freesync for the release of PS5, some syncing would be awesome for console games as they run horribly.

Couldn't say. I don't know what was showcased. Unless TS decides to go into greater detail, I will never know.

Even though the price is a little high, I really liked the Hades Canyon NUC.

That Digital Storm 'Project Spark' is the only not home-assembled computer I have ever seen that I would consider buying (if I needed a new computer). Lots of these technologies will trickle down (yes, unlike economics, it does).

Well, like they said, 5G but it's got a lot of promises to fulfill and I certainly don't want to start hearing loads of excuses why "it won't work in your area" .....

Project gemini, a psion pda revival which given the shite state of android market, might as well be my next smartphone. Also the motorola mod for moto z which is adding a sliding physical qwerty keyboard to moto z ... Not sure if techspot published anything about these ...

Huh, I wasn't aware that most of these articles were from CES.
Same here. I'm also thinking that is not all the products that were showcased at CES.

There were over 20,000 products on display. It's just not possible or even interesting to see all of them.

My favorite is probably LG's OLED cavern that was set up. Not necessarily impressive in terms of brand new tech, but it shows just how immersive displays have become.

There were over 20,000 products on display. It's just not possible or even interesting to see all of them.
Which brings me to my point for this topic. How are we to know which was our favorite, if we don't know the extent of the selection. It is not a fair question, if only a few dozen products are going to be reviewed. There wasn't even a worthy round up list to select from.

How are we to know which was our favorite, if we don't know the extent of the selection.

You just make a choice from what you know about. When you pick a favourite book or band or actor, that doesn't mean you know all books or bands or actors.

Wish I also said 'favourite game', which might be more relevant to this forum. :)
I don't have any favorite books because I don't read. I can however bridge the gap with games if that doesn't confuse you more.

I went 10 years without playing games. I started playing games again in 2009. At that time games had change quite a bit. I had no clue what genre or play style I liked. It wasn't until after I was able to pick from a library and play a few before I realized what those were. I can now look at the library and tell if I will not care for said title. Until I see a library of products from CES 2018, I will never know which products to exclude from my search for a favorite. And if Techspot is going to ask a favorite question they should supply at least a library catalog of all products in question.

I said I was going to stop. This is like me asking "what is your favorite feature of my vehicle?" When I only mention the color and speaker sizes. The color and speaker size may have been my favorite. And technically you are being asked to pick your favorite of my favorite features, since I didn't mention any other features.

I see questions and topics of events roll around year after year. And each time I wonder what else there was at the events. But that's as far as it goes, since Techspot doesn't want to cover it. I simply can not answer this question unless Techspot does cover more or I go elsewhere to find out.

Back