Opera's desktop browser gets a visual overhaul in version 25

Scorpus

Staff member

It may not have the userbase of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari, but the team at Opera are still trying their hardest to produce the best web browser going around. With the newly-released Opera 25 the interface has received a visual overhaul, adding in new image-heavy features.

The main new addition to Opera is visual bookmarks, which Opera calls "bookmarks, but with a twist". Like other popular browsers such as Safari, the main bookmarks page now features large images alongside website names and links. Normally these images would be automatically generated, but with Opera, the twist is that you'll be able to use whatever images you want.

The idea here is that people want their bookmarks pages to be beautiful as they're used to store memories from around the web. Providing the ability to customize the page not only allows the browser to look visually excellent, but it also helps people remember what websites are what.

Opera 25 is now available to download on both Windows and Mac from our download section. You can also grab a beta version of the browser for Linux.

Permalink to story.

Their icon got an overhaul too, and it's huge compared to others

zA5tKvE.png

I abandoned opera on windows after getting tired of it taking all available system resourses and waiting for the situation to improve over about 4-5 years, it didnt; it got worse. Trawling the forums for solutions or hope just told me the issues were being ignored in the race to be the browser which opens faster or loads pages faster.

I still use opera now and again but also use Chrome quite a bit too. If I really have to I'll use IE.

I abandoned opera on windows after getting tired of it taking all available system resourses and waiting for the situation to improve over about 4-5 years, it didnt; it got worse. Trawling the forums for solutions or hope just told me the issues were being ignored in the race to be the browser which opens faster or loads pages faster.

Opera is just Chrome now with a different skin, they dropped the Presto engine quite a while back and switched to webkit. They also dropped all the things that made Opera unique. I just don't see any point in using it now

I don't want my bookmark page to take several hours of scrolling through pictures. about:blank and a bookmark drop down list icon would be a really nice feature.

I just don't understand it, with Google Chrome available everywhere in the word why would anyone want to use another browser?

Opera is just Chrome now with a different skin, they dropped the Presto engine quite a while back and switched to webkit. They also dropped all the things that made Opera unique. I just don't see any point in using it now

The new Opera is now better than the old one ever was. I would invite you to try it again.

I don't want my bookmark page to take several hours of scrolling through pictures. about:blank and a bookmark drop down list icon would be a really nice feature.

You don't have to get to them that way. All you have to do is click on the Opera button, go to bookmarks 4 places down.

The new Opera is now better than the old one ever was. I would invite you to try it again.

Joke of the Century. Wake up dude. O12 and 10.63 long lag and Firefox and after IE

I switched to opera from Firefox several years ago and haven't gone back. Firefox at the time kept hogging all my resources and Opera had better features (tab management) .

I still use opera for main use, Firefox for some things, and chrome for a few others.

I don't really like chrome all that much. Ie still sucks the most

I also dumped Opera when they became a Chrome clone. I had been using Opera since you had to buy it to remove a banner ad, so it was a sad day for me. But when its just a POS Chrome clone and lost every one of the features I preferred it for over Chrome and FF I had to walk away.

Just have, the first 1 minute after installing told me I can remove it and never need think about trying it ever again.
21 'opera.exe *32' processes spawned, collectively using 2gb of memory for a handful of tabs tells me all I need bother knowing.
(Thats right, 21 processes sitting there for opera and the memory usage climbing like old times as it leaks away doing absolutely nothing.)

1st impressions better be damn good after the mess that used to be opera.. they were expectedly worse.

Just have, the first 1 minute after installing told me I can remove it and never need think about trying it ever again.
21 'opera.exe *32' processes spawned, collectively using 2gb of memory for a handful of tabs tells me all I need bother knowing.
(Thats right, 21 processes sitting there for opera and the memory usage climbing like old times as it leaks away doing absolutely nothing.)

1st impressions better be damn good after the mess that used to be opera.. they were expectedly worse.

Your Windows is either screwed up or your running a ton of tabs. It's fine on a 4gb system and ok on a 2gb system. I just opened 8 tabs and it was only around 1gb. Most people don't open 20 tabs at once.

Memory climbing generally isn't the applications fault. It's a sign of something being wrong with Windows.

Joke of the Century. Wake up dude. O12 and 10.63 long lag and Firefox and after IE
10.63 that's an ancient version of old opera. New Opera has no lag. Firefox and IE are as slow as cold molasses. Slower than old opera slow.

Opera Chrome based Browser GUI is ugly not functional at all. Posted so called themes are only background images nothing else and they call that theme !!! Fell free to pass this on to the developers ! No chrome extension possible to install ! And google owns it all ONLY for GOOGLE CHROME so they can spy and record at/on us !???! No go !!! I rather use Firefox can be customized and extensions are not limited as for Opera and Google Chrome ! All chrome based browser loose their ''mojo'' as can not use chrome extensions ! Google playing nasty and monopolizes browser and extensions that are developers right property and not Googles ! So developers are guilty also for posting it on google webstore available only to Google Chrome hardcore user !!! How many of us/others did not like to use Google Chrome ? The idea of Opera Browser Developers was to use chrome extensions and now what ??? Loosing functionality big time and who wants to rediscover hot water again and again rewriting chrome extensions to Opera !!! In compare to Firefox and Google Chrome Opera looses also !!! I don't like to be limited and restricted so I go with Firefox !!!

Back