Outlook 2016 slow for no reason?

Hello guys,

I've got a strange problem with Outlook 2016 on Windows 7. I have a PC with 2 user accounts and 2 different Outlook-profiles. "User Account 1" has a normal/fast running Outlook while "User Account 2" has an extremely slow Outlook.

Things I already tried and looked for:

• outlook safe mode -> still slow

• disable all add-ins -> still slow

• close all other programs -> still slow

• delete mails/calendars/contacts -> still slow

• online/offline mode -> both slow

• repair pst-files -->there are only ost-files and most of them are new created.

• disable gpu accleration -> still slow

• also found this script for slow running outlook but it didn't work --> http://blog.ollischer.com/exchange-2016-poor-outlook-2016-performance-troubleshooting

• repair office -> still slow
I really hope someone has a solution for this. I'm running out of ideas.

Greets,
Kenny

If account1 is ok but account2 is not, then it's clearly related to the user profile and NOT the system itself.

Try creating a new user, log into it, and setup ONLY Outlook.

If account1 is ok but account2 is not, then it's clearly related to the user profile and NOT the system itself.

Try creating a new user, log into it, and setup ONLY Outlook.

Already did this but it didn't change anything.
I made a backup of the PC and restored it on a virtual machine. I created a new user in the domain but it didn't have any effect. Outlook is still running slow as hell. Even at minimal settings. (No message preview, minimized folders, etc.)

It might be due to indexing options. You see... Outlook has a feature that might give an account-exclusive experience called indexing and it is connected to windows indexing. This is what helps Outlook spit out results when you type something into searchbar and this is also something that disallows you to search something in new emails via searchbar before they are indexed.
You see the issue might be that the indexing on one of your accounts is running in the background taking up huge amount of your disk and cpu performance. This happens normally if you don't have SSD and index is rebuilding itself. It might be due to new email that came or it might be a bug that index is randomly or constantly rebuilding itself. See if you can tinker with it for a while and let us know if this helped.
Also normally you can see if there is an issue with software bottleneck or hardware bottleneck by looking at the system resource utilisation. Hit ctrl+shift+esc for Task Manager and then go to Performance > Resource Monitor. This is where you can see real-time resource usage. If Outlook is slow while Resource Monitor doesn't show any usage over 60% then I think you have a software issue - probably an outlook reinstallation is advised or at least some tinkering with settings.

Good luck!

Back