Overclocking a Q6600 with stock cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rab2140

Hey all i have a stock intel cooler and want to overclock my cpu it is the G0 stepping model i was wondering what is a the maximum temps that would my cpu could handle for a 24/7 overclock?

You won't get far with just a stock cooler. I suggest you get a custom cooler, they don't cost you much, like the budget killing Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro or the OCZ Vendetta 2.

Its pretty risky overclocking with a stock cooler... max temps i would allow is 80 on full load.

i think the max temp is 71c. but you could clock that to around 2.9ghz and probably be safe but as HaMsTeYr suggested the arctic freezer 7 pro is like $31 thats dirt cheap man and very affordable.

I got to 3.4 today and it hit 70 so i will not go anymore. I think i will pick up freezer pro. How much heat reduction would there be ?

70? did you check the stability with Prime95 or something similar?

I'm using the Freezer 7 Pro and i can get into windows at 3.4 but its 90% stable so i'm at 3.3.

Max temps i hit is around... 60-70, Prime95-ed for 24 hours

I ran w prime for about 30 mins then 3d mark 06 and it passed.

I dunno i would like a 3.4 ghz overclocka t 50- 60oc max i think 70 is pushing it.

Would the freezer not offer that much difference to the stock intel HSF?

It does offer quite a bit of difference. The stock Intel HSF doesn't fair very well. You wouldn't want your Q6600 cooking off now would you...

I would recommend this cooler over the Freezer 7 Pro. Far more superior cooling performance (on par with the much more expensive TRUE) for less than $40. The rebate and free shipping makes it a fantastic bargain IMO. If you can, grab this kit as well to keep the HSF firmly bolted in place.

You will be able to see a very large difference in operating temperatures with it compared to the stock cooler and the Freezer 7 Pro. Check out this page for a comparison. They used a Q6600 as well.

HaMsTeYr,
how did you get your Q6600 to 3.6GHz? I have been successful in getting mine to 2.6GHz. My Abit IP35 Pro should be able to do as well as your Gigabyte board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back