Overworked fan fixed by BIOS flash. Returns on restart.

MajorDick

I originally thought this was a rootkit virus problem and started a thread over on virus and malware removal here vb/topic170990.html (sorry i couldn't link it my current post count is 4) but everything showed up clean.
Problems with my pc were first evident when I started getting random restarts and system hangs but since the fan problem has developed I don't seem be getting these symptoms anymore. The issue with the fan just happened on bootup one morning, the computer sounds like its going to take off and cpu-hw is telling me my fan speed is 4400 rpm. after Checking fan wiring and cleaning dust out of my case with no result I decided to reset my bios. This solved the problem of fan speed and I continued to use the computer normall for a couple of hours with no issues. I then turned it off and when I booted it again the next day the fan issue had returned and has remained since.

specs:
Acer eg43m mother board with ami bios p01-a2
intel core 2 quad q8300 2.5Ghz
ati radeon hd 5750
windows 7x64 home premium
2 x gb ddr3 ram
500w casecom psu

other information: I have reinstalled windows since the problem started (not to try and fix the problem but because I wasnt able to activate my previous install).

Have you checked out the temperatures being recorded by cpu-hw? The fast fan speed may be a sign that things are overheating.

Yeah both cpuhw and the bios menu were reporting something around 56celcius i think. Which is pretty normal, also if it was genuine overheating then a biosflash wouldn't have done anything.

Back