P4 upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrlow2

I am currently running a Pentium 4 CPU (2.6GHz,L2 cache of 512KB, 400MHz Bus speed.) I have access to a Pentium 4 with 2.8GHz,533MHz Bus speed and a 1MB L2 cache. Both are socket 478.My question is will the 2.8 replace the 2.6, and if so, given the specs, what type of performance gain or loss would I see? Don't want to mess up my machine by just trying.

Thanks Acclimator,for the response. Not wanting to jump into this without some idea if really worthwhile. If not much increase, will keep 2.8 for spare and save some time and work.Mostly interested in how difference in cache size and bus speed would affect machine.

Good morning. Already checked. 2.8 P4 is 533MHz FSB. Current mobo will not handle that. It is 400MHz only. BUT,I can get a new Biostar mobo that is 533MHz ,socket 478 for $60.00. Would performance change be worth the expense?

you wont see much performance gain, if you're going to spend money, might as well be fore something newer.

hrlow2 I just looked at your profile. It says you have an hp pavillion. If that is the one you're planning the upgrade on, then you need to be extra careful that the mobo you're replacing isn't proprietary before you do anything or you will be getting into problems otherwise.

Some of the big manufacturers configure their components differently than the standards usually bought. For instance the power supply connector may have a totally different configuration that matches the mobos. In this way, you can't just go buy a replacement at the computer store, but must buy one that's compatible with their design. That usually means buying it direct from the manufacturer and usually paying twice what it's worth. I'm honestly not up to date on whether they all are still doing that, though I'm sure some are. processors and memory are not that way. But mobos and power supplies are. On an old Compaq case I just gutted, to use for a back up system, even the USB connectors are different. ROMS also fall within the standard config with CPU's and RAM

Thank you. Since machine is OK as is, will just leave well enough alone and live with it. You will have to admit,though, any improvement is worth checking out. At least I asked without jumping in feet first.(And I still have a working machine). :)

I hope I didn't bum you out too badly. I always get excited when I'm about to upgrade. You may want to look around this Friday for a couple GB's of RAM. That will give you a bit of a performance boost. I'm sure with the economy in the dumps there will be some very good deals around for everything.

Take more than that to bum me. Been around way to long for that. As for the RAM. PC is already maxxed. 1GB is all she can handle. Machine is Wal-Mart special from 2003. Removed 5400rpm,80GB HD, and replaced with 7200rpm,160GB Seagate at same time as upping RAM. Does do better than it did when I first brought it home.

That upgrade probably isn't worth you spending any money. It's not much of a performance increase. Should you want an upgrade, a new computer is probably in order at this stage. You are running socket 478, which was replaced in I believe it was 2004 (correct me if I'm wrong) by socket T, LGA775. And now at this point LGA775 itself is going to be phased out soon. Just illustrating here how ancient socket 478 is. :(

Anyway, I'd say to wait for socket 1156 to come out along with the mainstream Core i7s, and just buy a whole new PC running that tech. It'll be a much better upgrade and better way to spend your money.

If you'd rather not buy a whole new computer, I suppose the upgrade you are proposing here will grant a small performance increase, but personally I'd consider it to be not worth my money.

My machine is like me(here I go getting defensive again)getting old and slow, but not ready for a hole in the ground just yet.(laughing) I know it's a little outdated, but best I could get with what I had at the time.Can afford better now, but have gotten comfortable with this one. You don't just throw old friends away.When it finally dies for good,I'll think about newer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back