P67 Sabertooth CPU LED

Hey guys, I finished my build today.
CPU: i7-3770k
GPU: XFX HD 7970
MOBO: Asus P67 Sabertooth
PSU: Corsair HX750W

As soon as I had it finished I hooked up all the outside parts and nervously turned it on...
The fan turned on for about 2 seconds and then it switched off for about 4 and came on again and this repeats forever.

I've double checked all the wiring, tried running it with one stick of RAM, with and without the GPU, took off the fan.

When I turn it on the CPU led on the MOBO lights up, from what I've read online this seems to be a pretty frequent problem with this motherboard.

I'm just wondering are there any definitive solutions to the problem?
Because as it is, I don't know if I can even afford a new MOBO after all I spent on this build. :(

How do I update the bios when the it doesn't turn on long enough for the monitor to register it :/
Like I mean, I press the power button, count to 2, it goes off, count to 4 it turns on and repeat.

So you bought this stuff brand new? If you have the old CPU, you could put that back in.

If you bought it brand new, I dunno... could try returning it saying it's faulty and get one that's supported.

Isnt the P67 only for 2nd gen CPUs? The 3770K is a 3rd Gen running socket 1156 while the third gen is 1155. You may have possibly just ruined your CPU since you put it in the wrong socket. I am confused. Does the PC even turn on?

I7 3770K is a socket LGA1155. The official ASUS mobo website lists that this CPU is supported, with a BIOS update.

Basically, if mobo and CPU aren't compatible, it won't boot at all. If the sockets are different, you'd have to physically smash the chip into the mobo socket, destroying pins along the way.

Yeah, it was just in the box, only recently came into the cash to finish my build...

So, I can't update the bios without turning it on
and I can't turn it on without the bios update?

That's a bit catch 22

Indeed.

Maybe take my previous suggestion and try returning it. Say it's faulty. Or try and swap for a compatible mobo. Good luck either way.

Remember, if you aren't sure on components, ask a forum such as TS for help! :)

Well the CPU fits...

Gonna bring it in to repair guys and see if they can determine the exact problem, hopefully it is just the mobo.
I can't see how it would be anything else tbh, here's hoping...

Yes - both Sandy and Ivy Bridge are LGA 1155 and most mobos P67, Z67, P68, and Z68 mobos will support Ivy Bridge with their newest bios. I'm not terribly sure about the H or P61 1155 motherboards though.

You were right St1ckM4n, twas the bios, the guy at the shop is gonna update them using a different CPU so I should have my PC back and working tomorrow :D

Back