Paint cannot read this file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I am new to these forums, and I am not very computer savvy but I can do a lot more than most people.

I have a problem. Everytime I try to open just about anything (Mozilla Firefox, MSN messenger, Notepad) I get a message that says

Paint cannot read this file
(File path)
This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported.

I have tried Microsoft's Help and support site, and that proved to be no help whatsoever, as it tells me to open my add or remove programs and i cannot open that due to paint error.

I tried a system restore, and that wont even work because of this strange error.

I also doubt this being a virus. I have quite a bit of virus software on my computer and what I think this is is the registry entries for the JPEG graphics filter are missing or damaged.

I would really like some help with my predicament.

go into folder option>file types. change those that is neccesary. otherwise, reinstall ms paint from add/remove programs>windows components.

post back if your still stuck.

Here is why Paint Brush Gives you that error

Some TIF files are 48-bit. I tried to open some TIFs from MS Image Writter but got that error :

paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported.

Currenty, I do not know of a program to edit a 48-bit TIF. This issue is published on MS web site...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917498/EN-US/

System XP SP2 tried w/ Regular Paint also tried Adobe PS and Paint.Net...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back