Pakistan threatens to ban Google over 'blasphemous material'

Jesse

pakistan google youtube

Pakistan is threatening to block all Google sites if the company does not remove “blasphemous and objectionable material” from YouTube, says Anusha Rahman Khan, the country’s new IT and telecommunications minister.

Pakistan blocked YouTube on September 27, 2012, after the outset of protests in reaction to a video entitled “Innocence of Muslims” that negatively depicted the prophet Muhammad. Now it seems that the country is using the ad revenue generated by its population as leverage to force Google into removing or filtering the videos that Pakistan finds objectionable.

This ultimatum is apparently an effort to get YouTube back into Pakistan as soon as possible, without making any concessions on content the government wants filtered.

Google offers localized versions of YouTube in 49 countries. These regional versions of the site include local content that is more relevant to that country’s users, and also abides by its laws.

According to Pakistan’s Daily Times, YouTube does not currently offer a filtered version in Pakistan and Google has stated that it will take time to build a localized version of the site while they review laws. "It is Google's goal to offer local versions of YouTube to more places worldwide, but it takes time," a Google spokesperson told the Daily Times.

Several countries have blocked YouTube in the past for varying durations, including China, Morocco, Thailand, and Iran. However, Pakistan’s threat to block all of Google’s services if YouTube does not comply with their request is unusual, if not unprecedented.

Permalink to story.

This is just pathetic. All these stupid delusional countries strutting their religious laws around.. Please.. Just get over it, it's the internet. I'm sure "Allah" doesn't have a care in the world. Threatening to block all Google services is just going to harm the people more than Google, but I'm sure their delusional government doesn't care.

This kind of stupidity only happen in a country which use sharia law (religious law of Islam).
when a nation use this kind of law, they wont advancing into a better state, only the opposite.. they'll tend to refuse many advancement, narrow-minded, and they prefer turning back to stone-age and become less civilized..

Google, along with Facebook, Microsoft and Apple will and do provide filters for different countries.

Tell me one thing how the heck is it ridiculous, you people have no respect for jesus christ but we respect every prophet and we can not your satanic video producers to do what ever they want to do. Why don't you make a film on how Americans are living on someone else's land, tell people how you slaughtered helpless people and tell people about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq

Give respect and have respect.
in the eye of the Islam all religion are respectable, we spread our religion with good behave not by the making a dispute.
that video is completely wrong, its against the Islam and our Holy Prophet.
Google should have to remove that video from the youtube.

Nonsense, if you are not comfortable enough in your own religion to ignore mockery and criticism, then perhaps you need to reconsider your belief.

Its crazy even the UK filters, they took out Michelangelo's nun-chucks in the original Teenage mutant ninja turtles cartoon. Because they were illegal at the time.

Nonsense, if you are not comfortable enough in your own religion to ignore mockery and criticism, then perhaps you need to reconsider your belief.

I agree, your religious beliefs do not dictate the beliefs of the rest of the world. If you don't have the power to ignore this kind of criticism then Youtube should be the least of your worries. This world will never become a peaceful one if some people continue to believe their own beliefs are paramount and absolute. I doubt they will do it but I could care less if Pakistan bans all of Google's sites. They will only be hurting themselves and civil war seems like its in fashion these days over there.

Who has more faith those who listen to others point of view or someone who sticks their thumbs in their ears saying lalalallalalalalala?

>_> Never going to the middle east. I wonder how well china fared when they closed themselves off from many all those years ago

Who knows the real reason Pakistan threatens to ban google?

"Now it seems that the country is using the ad revenue generated by its population as leverage to force Google into removing or filtering the videos that Pakistan finds objectionable."

"This ultimatum is apparently an effort to get YouTube back into Pakistan as soon as possible, without making any concessions on content the government wants filtered."

..nah, I guess Pakistan government also wants a piece of fortune from Google, if Google doesn't give it then they will ban Google that might cause Google lose potential ad revenue that can be generated from Pakistan people

It's like the South Park episode where they threatened to ban Family Guy over the Mohammed video! freaking mantras

Back