Partition Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, first time post here, hope it turns out allright.

So, a bit of history. Two years ago when I reinstalled XP Pro on my rig I accidently made a new partition and installed windows on it, thus leaving the half of my 250gb hdd inaccessible. Flash back to now, two years after returning overseas. I had completely forgotten about accidently "halving" the hard drive. I started to install a game and it said there was only 500mb available. I thought this was impossible until I saw that C: was only 142gb, and that the other 108gb was still floating in the ether.

So , resolving to fix it I went to disk management and saw the other 108 gigs unused, so I partitioned it. Then I made a mistake: I turned it into a primary partition. I didn't think anything of it at the time, my brother gets on WoW for the night and then shuts it down. I come back from classes today, boot the computer up and...

All I get is a disk check failure and the comp checking for a Boot CD: several times, it then says to insert the boot disk and you get the drift.

So, I pull out my xp install disc and let it roll through the motions. It keeps getting to the Windows XP Professional Setup page that gives me the list of existing partitions and unpartitioned space on the computer and the option to install XP on the selected item, create a partition in the unpartitioned space, or to delete the selected partition. Well, the only thing I see in the normal partition selection box is:

239367 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi
<Setup cannot access this disk.>

If I select to install on the partition or create a new partition I get the typical "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" and then a STOP:0x0000050 message along with a setupdd.sys message to go with it. I'm assuming there's something I'm missing here because I've been wracking my brain over this all day. The computer has been running fine the past 3 years and the moment this problem started was last night after the partitioning and that didn't even become a problem until it was shut down and restarted.

Anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back