Partition magic 8.0 cause xp fail to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first time i use partition magic 8.0 to create linux drive, i resize c: and d: to get space for the linux drive and then install fedora core 3 on it. The problem is that when in try to boot windows xp pro i get message "xmnt 2002 not found skipping autocheck" and "autochk program not found skippinf autocheck" and then the system reboot. I have try using safe mode but the same thing happen. Any one have similar experince, how to fix this problem?

[root@localhost robertngo]# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 1 1631 13100976 17 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2 3242 6374 25165822+ 17 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda3 6375 9729 26949037+ 17 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda4 1632 3241 12932325 5 Extended
/dev/hda5 * 1632 1644 104391 83 Linux
/dev/hda6 1645 3241 12827871 8e Linux LVM

It sounds to me like your boot loader got messed up somehow. You could try repairing XP as described in the thread
This should recreate your boot menu to allow you to get into XP, then you can manually edit it to allow you to dual boot fedora.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

i formated the windows and linux drive and reinstalled windows, now there is a problem with the two other ntfs drives in the hard disk. Windows does not display in my computer. In disk management the two drive have no volume label, it can display the file system as ntfs but the status is healty(unknow partition).

Any one know how to make windows detect these drive??

Very similar Problem - only worse!!!

Hi, I know this was an old thread....hopefully it''ll still get seen!

Right, situation is this: I used Norton Partition Magic on my WinXPsp2 PC to create a partition to run Suse linux on. All fine so far. I reboot, put in the SuSe DVD, install it. all good. Boot suSe, all fine...

Then, I try to reboot windows.... :eek:(

I get the SuSe boot loader and it has a SuSe option, a Windows option and a SuSe safe mode option. The SuSe one is fine, as I mentioned, but when I try to boot windows, it starts, I get the WINDOWS XP screen with the blue line moving along the bottom, but then get this error:

xmnt program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK
autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK

then goes to blue screen saying:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal system Error}
the session manager Initialisation system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down.

So, that doesn't work...so I take the next obvious option and slap in the Windows CD to try a repair of some sort. MBR or something. But, then the CD loads but before it 'starts windows' (and before pressing F8 etc or selecting repair, reinstall etc) I get this error:

STOP: c0000221 unknown hard error
/systemroot/system32/ntdll.dll

Damn it...teach me to do this without proper preparation at 4am! ;op

Now, just so we're clear on this, it's a fairly new laptop, and there isn't much on it. There are some photo's I would LIKE - but depending on how much time+hassle it's going to be, just killing it and starting afresh might be the best choice.
The thing is, I cant boot from the Windows CD to reinstall Windows anyway. I can install and boot from the SuSe disk - I guess it's cos the Grub (or some other linux loader is present and not a windows one!). So maybe killdisk or something to properly low-level format would do it, but again...time+hassle!

Please help

Many thanks - in advance :eek:)

PM8 is primarily made for windows not for linux. I am quite sure it will have diffiulties with other operating systems. Perhaps you want to have your system dual boot. If you are already dual boot, run the windows version. I have never met anyone using it on non windows systems.

norton bites
try acronis or another 3rd party boot manager
system commander looks good for this the ultimate boot disc may help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back