PC crashes whenever I try and play a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd741

Hi guys.
Basic problem is that my computer freezes every time i start a game. I'm assuming this has something to do with the video card.

My steps so far have been to format my HD and re-install windows vista. I have not connected to the internet since re-installing windows so I am almost certain I have no viruses.

The problem occurred whilst playing a game, the computer froze and was totally non-responsive - even to ctrl+alt+del.

Sometimes when I switch it on, it loads up until the login screen which stays blank.
I have found that I can start it up successfully in safe mode.

My specs are as followed:

Manufacturer: Dell Inspiron 531
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.81 ghz
RAM: 3582mb
System type: 32-bit OS
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS

If you need anymore info pls ask
Thanks

First, a 8300GS video card is just barely more competent than onboard graphics. so if it freezes on games with very high system requirements, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Other than that, the possibility exists it might be an insufficient PSU, and/or overheating video card or CPU.

300W power supply - I'm certain the graphics card is broken somehow, because when I plug the screen into the integrated video card port it works. I'm looking at a couple of replacements for the graphics card already but I dont really want to replace the power supply as well. Im only using the graphics card for one game and its really not graphics intensive (EVE online)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back