PC died all of a sudden, need some input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantrag

I have an AM2 4600+ @2.4ghz (stock) never really started OC'ing this rig as it was fast enought and I was too lazy >_<. on an Abit AN9 32x fatal1ty mobo. got a pair of 512mb OCZ (gold something) DDR2-800 sticks for dual channel etc. and a 7950GT (cant remember what make but a good one). The rig ran perfectly for nearly a year and then just suddenly died, as if the power failed. I couldnt boot it, it worked for half a sec and then it died again.. now this was clearly something to do with the psu (a morex 450w) I didnt upgrade the psu when I bought this upgrade so I got a thermaltake toughtpower 750w (supposed to be great) and now it runs but the POST cod led either says 9.0 'complete µguru intial process AWARD BIOS take over booting job' or 8.4 'DDR voltage ready'. now I tried changing round the ram in different dimm's and configs but imo the ram is good, as it worked perfectly before and it normally doesnt just die like that. Now I've found out that Abit had problems with the first few boards, the HSF on the mobo wasnt fitted right or something and guess what serial number mine has xD (FAS93UDD001232) but I havnt had probs with it, temps were great. I could try a RMA as it could fix any other problems there might be with the mobo. But as it might be something else, some input is more then welcome. anyone have the same prob with this mobo?

-thanks in advance.

Sounds as if the PSU took the board with it when it failed. Sorry to give you the bad news. Cheer up - get a better board!

AlbertLionheart said:
Sounds as if the PSU took the board with it when it failed. Sorry to give you the bad news. Cheer up - get a better board!

yeah, think so too. but I love the board tbh so I hope abit will give me another one xD

But I get the 8.4 ram voltage error maybe because its set to jedec default at 1.8v and I think my ram need 2.0v but that shouldnt be a problem with 1 stick of ram. So that could mean my ram got zapped too. this is my first ddr2 rig and I dont have extra sticks. Abit gave me a quick reply that they've forwarded me to the RMA service and they'll let me know soon. So I'll see if its my mobo(after 2-3 week prolly :p) if its my ram I get to wait a little longer, as I dont have the money for all that at the moment nor do I want to spend money on my pc again >_> kinda out of the whole pc thing. at least I still have this trusty PII thats been running for years without probs even though it does its work at 233mhz it still has 256mb ram and a 32mb gfx card xD
any extra input is more then welcome ^_^

Just a thought - if you have a multitester, how about testing the output of the new PSU? And maybe the old one too, because if it was the mobo that failed in the first place.....

Will be testing the older one in one of my extra rigs ^^ but I'm pretty sure the PSU is dead.. and I'll let the new one run on one aswell, just in case ;P

You may have to test the output with the thing connected to either a PSU tester (which adds a load resistance) or the motherboard.

will be doing it the old fashion way, with a mobo. don't have a PSU tester nor do I want to buy one xD

the ram should be ok its some pricey OCZ dualchannel ram (2x 512mb). But I don't really have any means to test it atm except to run the mobo with cpu and see what the POST display shows. waiting for someone to locate the invoice so I can give the info to Abit for an RMA (they answer rather fast ^^)

I just made use of my lifetime warranty on my ram and RMA'd it. Would be handy if that was the prob, saves me taking out my board again (just rebuilt it all over again to see if it did anything >_>)

OCZ's RMA worked well, took a small week to get my new sticks here (REV 2 modules this time ^-^). system still doesn't boot though, as I though it's the mobo. Abit refuses a recall as mine ran for a year and most likely won't be the same problem, so i might RMA it for the small cost of 20-50 eur repair. OR I might get a Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe which looks a little better, anyone have some info on this board? ow and I have a big HFS which only just fits onto the AN9 32x will it fit on the Asus? (Zalman CNPS9700-CU LED)

-thanks

[Edit]
it looks like it will fit but I'm wondering if the Zalman might be touching the heatpipe system (which I don't think is ok?)

before you abandon the board, you need to be absolutely sure that this is the problem.
Have you checked the PSU - to do any more with a faulty PSU would be crackers!
Have you tried booting with nothing connected (no RAM, no cards, no drives, no nothing except the PSU. Even the front panel connectors off as well - start by shorting the power button pins with a small screwdriver.
If it boots, stick bits back on until it stops.

AlbertLionheart said:
before you abandon the board, you need to be absolutely sure that this is the problem.
Have you checked the PSU - to do any more with a faulty PSU would be crackers!
Have you tried booting with nothing connected (no RAM, no cards, no drives, no nothing except the PSU. Even the front panel connectors off as well - start by shorting the power button pins with a small screwdriver.
If it boots, stick bits back on until it stops.

thing is it doesnt even POST it only runs for a few secs with the mobo LED saying 8.4 which is check RAM voltage and I must say this aswell, I never got the onboard ethernet to work either tried alot of things but ended up using a PCI card (was too lazy to find out what it really was at the time and the rest worked fine). might be another indictation that its the board? I'll check everything again and post back after.

Ok did that but it's still the same, even with ram out it gives the 8.4 RAM voltage error code. not sure If I'll RMA it or buy a new one If I would get a new one what would be the best AM2 board? (onboard lan, audio, good oc'ing, room for a big HSF and nice performence I was thinking of nforce 590 but not sure what one is best)

I got the motherboard this morning, it still doesn't boot. it gives a 9.0 error on the POST LED display (complete µguru initial process, AWARD BIOS take over booting job). could someone please help because its driving me crazy :p

Update: Abit technical support offerd to send a new Bios chip... I just got it back from repairs. I must say that the service is a let down. OCZ fixed the RMA in 5 days and the new batch of ram came from California (Venlo, the netherlands for Abit)

Back to where I joined this - take it all out of the case and connect only the CPU & cooling, the PSU and the speaker connection (unless there is an onboard speaker in which case use that).
If you get a string of beeps this is good. Now power off and fit the RAM - if you have on-board video you should get 1 beep, if no on-board you should get multiple beeps - this is good. Power off.
Now fit the video card (if on board use this at this stage) and connect the monitor - reboot. If it all happens refit the bits into the box and repeat the process, staqe by stage until it goes wrong. While you have the board out of the case, check for shorts underneath due to too many standoffs.

Will be doing that tomorrow, I tried an hour ago and I just couldn't, felt like scapping the whole thing xD

Thanks for the help everyone, it turned out to be the mainboard. Everything is working now ^^

-Topic closed-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back