PC switches off automatically, High temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

llp00na

Dear All;

My PC is switching off automatically after a while without any prior notice. I have checked the BIOS and here is what i have got:

CPU Temperature: 81C / 176F;
M/B Temperature: 34C / 93F;
CPU Fan Speed: N/A
Chassis Fan Speed: 1868 RPM

It looks to me like the temprature of the CPU is high, can someone please let me know if this is normal? if not, what could be the reason?

I have an intel P4 3.00 GHz, 2mb cashe and I am running windows xp professional.

Many thanks.

Disassemble the CPU heatsink and clean off any thermal compound left on the CPU and it's heatsink. Apply a small amount of new compound and reassemble...

Or very poor air circulation within the system case. The hot air could be getting trapped. But than again, your motherboard temps seem OK. So I would say that you don't have you CPU heat/sink properly seated. Thermal grease only increases the heat transfer between the CPU and heatsink. I had a heatsink on my CPU once without thermal grease and it never overheated. And this is in VERY warm room, like 30+ degrees celcius.

_FAKE_ said:
Or very poor air circulation within the system case. The hot air could be getting trapped. But than again, your motherboard temps seem OK. So I would say that you don't have you CPU heat/sink properly seated. Thermal grease only increases the heat transfer between the CPU and heatsink. I had a heatsink on my CPU once without thermal grease and it never overheated. And this is in VERY warm room, like 30+ degrees celcius.

I have just opened my case and the heatsink is pretty hot !!! is it supposed to be although it has got a fan attached to it?

I have just bought some thermal grease and I will apply it although i doubt it could be the reason. I am pretty confident that the CPU and heatsink are properly attached.

Whats the normal spinning rate of a cpu fan? I am starting to think it might be the cpu fan as it spins at 1940 rpm!

I know your processor is a socket 775 Intel. I have an Intel Celeron D Cedar Mill 3.2GHz CPU overclocked to 4.2GHz under a ZeroTherm Cooler. It's temp is 40C, so you do have a problem. Remove the CPU's heatsink. Clean off the old thermal compound and apply a small amount of new compound, then we can argue some more...

Dear All;

I have , as suggested by you, bought a new thermal compound. The old thermal grease has been cleaned off the CPU and heatsink, the new thermal compound has been applied and the heatsink has been attached to the CPU.

The CPU is still overheating (>90 degrees) and eventually forces the PC to switch off. I have noticed that the heatsink gets very hot. The fan spins at a rate of 1900 rpm.

Can you please advise further?

Ditch the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and try another LGA 775 cooler. The fan speed looks ok. The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU contact surface or mounting hardware may be damaged

Tmagic650 said:
Ditch the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and try another LGA 775 cooler. The fan speed looks ok. The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU contact surface or mounting hardware may be damaged

I have got 2 questions;

what are my chances that the CPU is damaged?

In normal circumstances, is the CPU supposed to overheat and CPU fan cools it down? or is the cpu not supposed to reach such levels of heat? - would you please explain to me the mechanics by which this process occurs-

when you said the mounting hardware, do you mean the part which attaches the cpu to the mobo? I have noticed that the piece of metal responsible for attaching the cpu to the hardware kind of forces the cpu onto the mobo, is this normal?

This is my CPU cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887009

I used to like Zalman coolers, but the fans always failed prematurly. The ZeroTherm has been running non-stop for 5 months now. It cools very well too. At 4.2GHz my Celeron D stays at 40C. At the nominal 3.2GHz, it runs at 30C

Questions:
1. No your CPU would go into "thermal runaway" or fail to run at all if it was damaged
2. Normally, a motherboard temp sensor sences the CPU temp and speeds up the CPU fan accordingly. Otherwise in some systems, the CPU fan runs at maximum RPMs from the start
3. With a LGA 775 board, the CPU socket has a lid. You open this lid and place the CPU in the socket (it goes in one way only) close the lid and secure it with a latch. The CPU heatsink/fan is connected to a bracket secured to the motherboard, not the CPU. The heatsink is pressed down, contacting the CPU's top though the thermal compound

Tmagic650 said:
This is my CPU cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887009

I used to like Zalman coolers, but the fans always failed prematurly. The ZeroTherm has been running non-stop for 5 months now. It cools very well too. At 4.2GHz my Celeron D stays at 40C. At the nominal 3.2GHz, it runs at 30C

Questions:
1. No your CPU would go into "thermal runaway" or fail to run at all if it was damaged
2. Normally, a motherboard temp sensor sences the CPU temp and speeds up the CPU fan accordingly. Otherwise in some systems, the CPU fan runs at maximum RPMs from the start
3. With a LGA 775 board, the CPU socket has a lid. You open this lid and place the CPU in the socket (it goes in one way only) close the lid and secure it with a latch. The CPU heatsink/fan is connected to a bracket secured to the motherboard, not the CPU. The heatsink is pressed down, contacting the CPU's top though the thermal compound

Thanx for your answers,

I have bought a new CPU fan and the CPU temperature has gone down to 40 - 45 C, is this normal?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back