PC won't boot after accidental outage. Red light on mobo is on

aegisrose

Hello Forum,
My main PC won't boot up... As I was reaching behind the PC to pull a USB cable, I accidental hit the power supply "on/off" switch with my wrist (whooops!).

So i flipped it back to the "on" position, then tried to boot it (I hit the button on the front). The only thing it does is light up for just a second... then immediately turns off. The MOBO has a little red light indicating that it's receiving power though. I experienced this once before after a legitimate power outage, and I simply went into the PC, and hit the red LED button, and voila! it all came on properly. I tried the same thing this time, but when I pressed the red button on the MOBO, it simply did the same as the power button on the front (it lit up for a second, then died).

Any ideas what might be causing this? Is my power supply dead? or did I fry my MOBO somehow? Thanks in advance!

Thanks Tmagic... swap the power supply even thought the mother board is getting power? I guess I was hoping I missed a reset button somewhere along the way :(

Yes, the red LED on the motherboard may indicate that the power supply is missing a voltage. Computer power supplies produce several different voltages. If only 1 is missing, it can cause problems like this. Also, power supplies are cheaper and easier to replace than motherboard are...

Hi Everyone... just wanted to mention that this can be closed. I did some research on this MOBO (it was hard to find actually!) and found out that if I held in the button for 2 seconds it would "reset" and allow for power to steadily surge into the dam thing. This was pieced together from some other forums and folks with the same or similar MOBO as mine.

Anywho~ all is well. PC is running like new. While I was in there, I gave the ole' girl a good dusting. ;)

No reason to close this, it will soon disappear to second page never, neverland. Thanks for the update though :)

Back