PCIEX16 GPU, that requires no PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tha General

I have a question, is there a list of PCIe cards that do not required you to put in a extra PSU cord connector to the video card?

I mean is it necessary?

I heard that pCIE cards required more power for the card to function better, but do i really need to do share my PSU power with the card? To be honest, i really do not want too lol. I plan to buy my secondary computer real soon, just wanted to know.

The powered Video cards (just about all new ones for PCI-E) are better
The power helps run the CPU and Fan -- within the Video card.

Well sharing your powersupply with the card, your psu will die out quicker right?

What i am worry about, i want to keep not only my cpu/powersupply/ cool, but i want the GPU to stay cool also, because using this computer, using PCI cards, all of my cards either stays at 39c - 55c. I just seen a review for the Diamond 4870x2 and the card runs at 90c, and the guy says thats alright, because the card is meant for it.

90c? Thats insane.

I don't know about dieing more quicker, I've had my (powered) 3D Video card in my machine for two years now, and the PSU still seems ok (so I suppose as long as the PSU has enough max wattage then it should be ok.

As for cooling (especially on a non powered Video card) you can purchase a PCI card that just runs a fan, blowing directly on to the Vid card

My 8600GTs don't have additional power connectors... but they aren't all that powerful, even in SLI.

Well what i am going to do is just start off with a pcie card that has no power connectors and see how they work. I am not someone who wants 60fps in game, so once i do get my new computer and if i can play timeshift, jericho, crysis and COD4,and other games at around 20-40fps at 1024x768 or 1280x1024 at low to high or medium to high then that would be that and i will be happy.

Thanks for the info!

Whether or not the PSU dies depends on how much power it can actually deliver on the +12V rail, which is where almost all the components in a modern system draw power from. The 8600GT is about the best you can get without having a PCI-E power connector, but at least 16-18A on the +12V rails is required.

This is the psu which i have been using since 2000, for this computer;
90.jpg

90watts. :)

I am using a card now that requires 270watts, i have also use other cards which require 300, no issues. PCi e is of course different, just saying.

hey thanks, for the link. I plan to buy some 90watts backups soon, just in cause this one finally dies, but its been blowing out cool air and working perfect since 2000.

When i get my new computer, i will make sure to get a 400watts or 500watts PSU, might start out with 350 tho.

Stretching the Truth.........

Whether or not the PSU dies depends on how much power it can actually deliver on the +12V rail, which is where almost all the components in a modern system draw power from. The 8600GT is about the best you can get without having a PCI-E power connector, but at least 16-18A on the +12V rails is required.

It probably also depends on how much "enthusiasm" the manufacturer has had the advertising department inject into the PSU specifications.

I heard hot air reduces the available output of a PSU. Where better to find a limitless supply of hot air than in the marketing department.

Hold up, i guess another question, people can run pcie cards without connecting anything to it right?

I heard about this, and someone said the performance might not be as good, but i kinda have a hard to believing that.

kimsland,

Why on earth would anybody pay 50 bucks for a 90 Watt PSU. Is this thread a warmup for April Fool's Day? Did any computers in the year 2000 even have PCIE x16 capability? WTF is everybody talking about? I'm so confused.

Why on earth would anybody pay 50 bucks for a 90 Watt PSU. Is this thread a warmup for April Fool's Day? Did any computers in the year 2000 even have PCIE x16 capability? WTF is everybody talking about? I'm so confused.

You are confused, because you are not reading, i am not paying 50 bucks for backups, i can find them elsewhere cheaper. Second, if you seen the picture that i posted, that is from my 90watts PSU which i am using for this computer, my main rig in my sig.

90W?! You cannot run any decent PCI-E card on that. You'd need at least a good-quality 350W PSU.

Read what i said above.

Anyways,

Hold up, i guess another question, people can run pcie cards without connecting anything to it right?
I heard about this, and someone said the performance might not be as good, but i kinda have a hard to believing that.

Ah I see, you're gonna get a new one for the new PC.

As for your question, any card that needs a direct connection from the PSU will not work well without it. You'll have constant BSODs unless you plug the connector in.

Well what i am going to do is just start off with a pcie card that has no power connectors and see how they work. I am not someone who wants 60fps in game, so once i do get my new computer and if i can play timeshift, jericho, crysis and COD4,and other games at around 20-40fps at 1024x768 or 1280x1024 at low to high or medium to high then that would be that and i will be happy.

Thanks for the info!

Dear Tha General;

Any card that would give you these specs would require a fairly beefy PSU. The newer Nvidia cards such as the GT8400 and GT8500 would possibly function with a decent 300(iffy) to 350 watt PSU. Plus they won't likely give you the frame rates you're trying acheive. So, it's up to a 400 to 450 watt supply which would enable a GT8600 series card, which might. It doesn't seem sensible to me for a gamer to automatically limit himself this way. Every year, the games grow more demanding. So actually, the GT8800 series cards are what you should be considering. They eat PSUs for breakfast, and so be prepared to feed them heavily.
This thread is based on the idea that you think a different, higher set of performance parameters can be obtained by sheer force of will, or forensic discussion. Sadly, that just isn't the case. If great frame rates were available with stock video cards and 300 watt PSUs, then everybody would be doing it, don't ya think?
Second, the thread is still a jumble of different disparate concepts and computers.

If you want to buy or build a new computer, fine, we're glad to help you. But at least take some to time to correctly define the point and purpose of your objectives.

If you want to banter about your legacy machine, we're cool with that too. I just really doesn't quite make all the sense it could, talking about them both at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back