PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds: What does it take to play?

Julio Franco

Staff member
Right now there seems to be a major problem with how they handle ping in the game. It results in very noticeable stuttering (this was on a i5, 1070 machine).

I hope it doesn't stay in early access too long. This has become the new normal for most survival-type games. Games like Rust have been out for 2-3 years and likely will never go out of early access. It changes so much that you have to almost relearn the game if you take a 6 month break.

Id rather the game require higher end hardware than have graphical settings that give players a distinct advantage.
Say that to Counter-Strike players (like me). You would not get the usual weird stares like in other gaming communities, they'll just tie you to a stake and burn you alive. After that they would move on to play at low settings knowing that justice was delivered and they killed a witch that was trying to summon the devil.

Id rather the game require higher end hardware than have graphical settings that give players a distinct advantage.
Say that to Counter-Strike players (like me). You would not get the usual weird stares like in other gaming communities, they'll just tie you to a stake and burn you alive. After that they would move on to play at low settings knowing that justice was delivered and they killed a witch that was trying to summon the devil.
im really glad CS:GO players arent in hardware development at all, otherwise instead of xbox one X targetting 4k 30/60fps we'd be doing 480p at 800 fps :p

im really glad CS:GO players arent in hardware development at all, otherwise instead of xbox one X targetting 4k 30/60fps we'd be doing 480p at 800 fps :p
anything is better than 30 FPS shooters/action games and anyone who says otherwise should not be in hardware or software development.

PS: anything is better than FPS games on consoles :p
PS2: other than 1 or 2 games most aren't "true 4K" :p (come at me xbox fans!)

anything is better than 30 FPS shooters/action games and anyone who says otherwise should not be in hardware or software development.

PS: anything is better than FPS games on consoles :p
PS2: other than 1 or 2 games most aren't "true 4K" :p (come at me xbox fans!)
I 100% agree shooters and action games should prioritize 60 fps. I just hate the attitude of "omg 30 fps completely unplayable" for RPGs and the like.

Ive played just as many 60 fps games with bad input lag as 30 fps games honestly, due to lazy development

800fps would be awesome but as long as it can do 60fps I don't care about resolution, anything below that is unplayable to me, causes headaches.

"as you might expect, Battlegrounds isn't particularly well optimized"

to me this has been the most optimized earlyaccess game in years. Tried it with my old 4770k and 970 rig and even it ran it perfectly at ultra settings 1080p 60fps. At same stage of developement ark had 5fps, space engineers had 2fps when planets came and dayz took 7 years to be remotely playable. Haven't had any lag or other issues, one crash in 50hours of play (on multiple machines).

This game looks fun, but I don't do the pre-order / early release bs anymore.

Almost every survival games stays in early access for the entirety of the development cycle. Most of these games are not meant to ever be released in an official sense.

Buying most games in early access is basically buying a rough version of the game. It's usually nothing like pre-orders.

Back