Please Help: Missing Files after Repair Install!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I need help. I’ve lost all my personal files! My computer wasn’t starting properly and told me it was missing a .dll file. After checking to see it was fine to do a repair install and not lose any files, I did exactly that. I did a repair install, however all my files from the desktop are gone!!! I use to keep all my files inside folders on the desktop, every single one of them is gone! I can’t search for them or anything. I clicked on my C drive, and notice that 80GB of 120 GB is still in use.

Most of my programs are still there, and files that were directly saved inside C:/ . All my files that were on the desktop are no where to be found. I check other accounts on my XP Pro that had limited access not admin accounts, and they are perfectly fine with all files intact. Does anyone know where my files when? Since they are still using HD room. Please help me, I have so many important files I need to reclaim.

Thanks!

Are you using the computer as the Administrator? Tsk, tsk..

Look in C:\Documents and Settings - this is where all the users' desktops are kept.

Nodsu said:
Are you using the computer as the Administrator? Tsk, tsk..

Look in C:\Documents and Settings - this is where all the users' desktops are kept.

No that wasn't the problem at all. I was admin before and admin after the refomat. I had a 120gb hard drive which had 95 gigs filled. After the re-install, the system told me i still had 95 gig used... but its no where to be found. Some files have been found using file recovery software. Rest of my files are lost somewhere in that data usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back