Please Help... New Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bass7248

I have a computer built by alienware and it had a ATI Radeon X600 running in it and it finally died on me. I just bought an ATI Radeon X1300 Pro. Ever since I installed it, it is extremely loud. Especially when I am playing a full screen game. Eventually my computer restarts. I checked the recommended power supply which is 350 and I have a 450 watt power supply. I am not sure what is wrong here. There is no power needed from the video card to the power supply so I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Is there any settings in BIOS that I have to change? Any help is much appreciated!

Bass7248

Here are my voltage values...

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.56 V
+3.3 V 3.34 V
+5 V 5.62 V
+12 V 12.34 V
+5 V Standby 5.09 V

Whether they are normal or not, I have no clue.

By the way, this is while no game is running just the internet and Everest.

Also, Under Windows Video, it is saying I have X1300 PRO and then it says X1300 PRO Secondary. The secondary one comes first. Is that normal?

Apparently the 'secondary' is normal for those cards.

Your voltages look good.

That thread I noted says that those cards DO have an extra power connector. Of course, you have the card so it should be obvious.

Do you have a bios AGP aperture setting that can be changed from (probably) 64 to 128 ?

I think only the AGP cards have a a power connector. I have the PCI Express card. Where would I find that setting under? Is it only for AGP cards?

Yes, it is - now we know what Brand AND type of card you have don't we!

I would suspect that the fan is imbalanced if it makes that much extra noise - could even be a defective bearing so that it overheats (as long as the card is fairly new it should not be doing that).

RMA it.

:)

ps: different cards have different requirements - many PCI E cards have a power dongle.

So I should just return the card and get a new one? Is there anything I can do in the meantime to stop it from restarting my computer? I am playing my full screen games at the lowest possible settings to try and prevent it but it still gets extremely loud when I start playing a game and it restarts on me.

Yeah, I got the card 3 days ago.

Is there anything else that I could be doing wrong if it is not the video card being defected?

Does your comp have good ventilation? Any case fans and is at least one exhasuting while another (if you have it) pulling cooler air in?

If you have limited fans (ie, 1 exhaust or none) you can try taking the side cover off and aiming a room fan at the guts.

The video card fan itself has a heatsink and a fan. Then I have a case fan on the side panel blowing into the video card area. Then I have one fan on the back that I guess sucks in or blows out air. And then of course the CPU Fan. I think that is enough fans. If I take the side panel off I basically have to disconnect that side panel fan. Even if I wanted to put in another fan I dont even think I have an extra cord from my power supply.

Yeah, I just checked. They are definetley blowing out. I don't know if they are supposted to blow out fast but I'd say they are about average. So I guess the card is just defected. I just opened up a full screen game about 5 minutes ago and it just got louder and louder up to a point where it sounded like the fan was struggling to keep it cool and then it just turned off.

What it probably is, is that the heatsink isn't adequately pasted or attached or both. The noisy fan is also suspect. HOWEVER, if you mess with the heatsink or fan, NO WARRANTY!

Yeah I guess I will just call them up tomorrow and get a new one. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I'm hoping. If not I will have to probably replace something else im guessing.

Thanks a lot for your help by the way. I will let you know what happens when I get another one in the mail. :D

Hmm... something new just came up. About 5 minutes into my full screen game my computer screen went black and the little button turned orange on the monitor instead of the computer restarting. Goes back to a previous problem with my other video card. Sometimes it would do what just happened now and sometimes the screen would go black and I would hear a lot of static coming through my headset. Although on my other video card I did think the fan was either broke or not working properly so maybe this is the same thing happening?

ok there is an edit button, so you don't need to triple post. How loud is loud? These cards are noticably louder than an older one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back