Possible to play the uncut version of L4D2 in Australia if I buy an American version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic Rock

Hi guys,

I guess the title sums it up... but does anyone know whether or not I will be able to play L4D2 (the way it was meant to be played) if I buy the uncut American Version?

The Australian version has been heavily censored, thanks to Michael Bloody Atkinson, and is just not fun to play.

Any help, advice or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Well I have retail software from other countries and it's running without problem. Just because you are geographically in a different location that software doesn't stop working :p .

But because this is a Steam game I am not sure how it will react. I've seen restrictions on game releases (ip blocking) from new/banned games but am unsure how that would effect censored games. How exactly are you getting this game? Are you getting it sent to you in retail box? I'd assume if that's the case and you install it you wouldn't have any issues. But if you download it I'd think Steam would automatically change it to the censored version (detecting your Australian IP). This might be best asked on the Steam forums cause I am purely speculating here :) .

PS: How do the internet censor laws exactly work for ya? Is it just illegal to SELL the game un-censored? Or is it also illegal to OWN the game as a citizen even if you purchased it outside Australian borders?

Hi Relic,

Thanks for answering, I am going to get the game through Ebay and it will be a retail version. I've looked around for a way to get the downloadable version through steam and still have it uncensored, but I think it will be easier to just go through Ebay.

As for our Government's overprotective and temperamental censor boards, the *****s say that only say that it is illegal to sell the game in Austraila. Owning or importing it for personal use is not illegal.

This is just about the censor system on Video Games. If you're interested, the Australian government also wants to censor the internet, LIKE FREAKING CHINA!

Hi Relic,

Thanks for answering, I am going to get the game through Ebay and it will be a retail version. I've looked around for a way to get the downloadable version through steam and still have it uncensored, but I think it will be easier to just go through Ebay.

As for our Government's overprotective and temperamental censor boards, the *****s say that only say that it is illegal to sell the game in Austraila. Owning or importing it for personal use is not illegal.

This is just about the censor system on Video Games. If you're interested, the Australian government also wants to censor the internet, LIKE FREAKING CHINA!

I'm sadly aware and been keeping loosely up-to-date about it as I consider it a threat to free speech everywhere and feel bad for Australian citizens :( . From my understanding this seems extremely unpopular, a waste of millions & millions in taxes and ultimately doomed to fail.

Btw, as I said before double check on Steam forums that this method will work! It'd be a shame if you bought it and when installing Steam has some detection and notices its not the Australian version and downloads it. Granted I don't think that would happen...

Thanks Relic, I'll do that. I really appreciate your input here, Thanks : ) I'll also let you know what happens when I finally do get the game.

I also share your view on my Government's pathetic attempts to 'protect us from ourselves'. There is always a way around the stupity of others, and I'm sure I am not the only one willing to find it.

I know of people in Australia which have uncensored version of L4D2. Works fine uncensored.

Unfortunately, when playing with other Aussies who bought the censored version, your version will get restricted: some stuff don't spawn apparently. However, all blood, guts and gore don't get censored out.

However, playing with other people with the uncensored version will not cause this.

So, if ur gonna play with ur friends, make sure they've all got uncensored version, or their versions will stuff you up.

Yeah, I heard of that myself. Hopefully I will at least get to see some of what Valve intended when I play it.

I am downloading it at the moment. From what I have read, the only difference between the censored and the uncensored versions is the Game Key Code. I bought a Key Code from a Texan (Jeez that doesn't sounds very credible does it?) through Ebay. Will let you know if it works.

I bought a Key Code from a Texan (Jeez that doesn't sounds very credible does it?) through Ebay.

Not all Texans are bad :stickout:, most of us are a fun bunch! Some of us might think you guys down under are all Paul Hogans thou :p...actually the stereotypes of both might get along with all that wilderness and knives...:haha:

Ok, well I bought a Game Key from Ebay by accident. The fellow selling it was passing it off as a DVD version of the game. Gotta be careful. Anyway, it doesn't matter, cause the thing works beautifully.

Lots of blood and guts, and no worries. It cost me $30USD, and I had to downlaod it through steam, there goes my internet limit for the month... but it's a rare thing of beauty.

The fellow Emailed the Key to me, and all you have to do is copy and paste the Key into the "Authenticate a product on Steam" box in youru"My Games" Tab and it will start downloading.

I hope this helps people looking to get around Mr. Atkinson's brain dead scheme of censoring what might be harmful to our delicate eyes. Reply with a smily face on here if it did all my fellow frustrated Aussies, we deserve the right to choose for our-bloody-selves.

10 characters.

(I should've put 10 character limit, not key limit lol; it pertains to techspot's forum rule #452 subsection 3c stating that each post needs to be at least 10 characters long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back