Possible video card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Vaio VGN S170B Sony laptop and it only starts up in either VGN mode or Safe mode.
If regular startup is initiated the screen flickers then goes black with no warning, even before it gets to the Windows logo or sometimes just after it. I can hear the computer still running, the lights all flicker as if it was working normally, but there is no image on the monitor.
I believe it might be the video card, but I think it's integrated into the motherboard. Is there any way for me to fix this problem without having to replace the whole bloody thing?
Can any one help me figure this out?

Hi,

My first thought is it is a driver issue. Start in safe mode, go to the hardware panel and see if you can roll back the current drivers. If that doesn't work try getting the drivers from the web, getting a specific driver cleaner (nVidia or ATI, etc), remove the device from the hardware manager, remove the drivers from the computer and then reboot.

If that doesn't fix it then try F8 and in the options there should be one that shows what drivers are loading. See where it stalls when you do it that way.

Good Luck,

Adrian

Try installing the latest graphics driver. Go to Sony's website to find it. For best results, uninstall the old driver through Add and Remove Programs if you can.

I already tried to install the new drivers. I even tried restore it to the original factory settings. It didn't work either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back