Power supply blowing causing video card to underperform??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranq

I'm on a Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro 256MB PCI-Express video card...A few weeks ago my card was running much better than now..like an X800 should...but then the power supply blew...and i got a replacement from the manufacturer of the same power supply (a very cheap $13 480w power supply that came with my case-Logysis Phantom Black) and now my video card performs HORRIBLY...even in COUNTERSTRIKE 1.6 my frames are horrible...they drop down to 30 when i see an enemy and i cant even speak of playing need for speed underground 2 or half life 2...they frame very badly...this really started happening after instaling the new power supply...is it possible that the power supply blowing damaged the video card...or worse the mobo...(i feel like killing myself) but the comp is running fine...just cannot perform in games...

P4 Prescott 3.4 Ghz not OC'd
EPoX EP-5EPA+
Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro PCI-Ex
1 GB RAM

Thanks in advance

First get a good quality psu from Enermax/Antec etc about 400w to 450w should be fine.

The name of the game here is quality not quantity as your videocard will be power hungry.

Secondly it is possible that your videocard has suffered damage due to your old psu blowing.

And last but by no means least I would recommend that you get antisurge protection if you haven`t already.

Something like this is what I mean http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...talogId=3151&productId=131031&clickfrom=image

Regards Howard :cool:

THe biggest thing to remember is effencity rating of a power supply you need a rating of at least 70% . Example lets say you have a powersupply that is 500W effencity rating of 50% in true terms this power supply is only 250 watts you see where I am getting at>>

Hope this helps you

i have no idea the efficiency rating of my power supply :( but im guessing it's not very good considering it's a very cheap psu...the company could be considered generic...and is worth $13...it is only sold on the Logysis site lol...i think i need a psu...unfortunately ive already spent $1600 on this comp and im sort of broke? ...

here is the one and only link to my psu...(no information available :/)http://www.logisyscomputer.com/viewsku.asp?SKUID=PS480B&DID=POWERSUPPLY

Could this be happening because the two molex connectors that need to go into the adapter for pci-express are on the same line? maybe if i put one from each line into it will get more power???

I'm having much the same issue. Just a day ago I went out and bought an overclocked BFG Asylum edition 256MB AGP 8x FX5200 modded card for 60 bucks from Wal-Mart (Gotta love that Sam Walton, he's a genius). Installed it in the AGP port, secured it and all. Tonight, after a day and a half of nonstop sweat, blood, and toil on my poor machine, it's in, and I had to get a No-CD fix and remove my CD drive and DVRW Burner. Also, removed my Floppy drive and my firewire ports, My Media Controller device from Winfast, and another card I can't figure out, because I only have a 250W HiPro generic type thing. It's absolute crap. I have a feeling it's busted. PLanning on getting a 50 buck Antec 400 Watter. But I have a feeling that wont fix it. Even with all these powersucking extra devices gone, the card still only does 10 frames in Call of Duty. It's dead awful. Any help for either would be appreciated. But as far as for now, buddy. Get some NO-CD fixes from www.gamecopyworld.com (it's legal) and remove CD drives and so on that you don't really need. IF that doesn't work, just put them back in. It's not a lot of hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back