Power to my 8800GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamree

Hey all. I finally ordered a GeForce 8800GT graphics card in order to play the more demanding games on my computer, but I still need to upgrade my PSU before I install and use it, so I was wondering if anyone had any great suggestions as to what kind of PSU I'm looking for and maybe direct me towards some that would be powerful enough to power my card and system. I'm trying to save some money, so I'm really only willing to spend only $100 or less for a PSU.

My card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130303

My System: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8532983&type=product&id=1186008217632

Thanks in advance for your help.

really, when it comes to PSU's, you get what you pay for. you will need at very least a 450W PSU with 26A on the 12V rail (if any of this confuses you, let me know ;))

i'm looking around newegg for your in your budget and i'll let you know how it goes

this is all i've found that's really up to the job so far but it's a tiny bit over budget ;)

what i'm currently going by is looking for a psu that has at least 26A 12V rail but if it works in a different way (which i think it might do) then it will be a lot easier to find a psu. i think it may work by putting the two 12V rail amperages together, because the card gets power from the PCI-e and an auxiliary power connector. e.g. my power supply has 2 20A 12V rails which come together to make 30A so that would be easily sufficient. if this is what i should be going by then this one will do you nicely :)

No, I understand what you are saying. I just want to make sure that I get the right type of power supply so i can run my video card correctly. I've looked at PSU's, too, but I'm sure that most people around here have much more experience in this type of work than me.

google "PSU calculator" then add 30% to the results.

Going cheap on a PSU is asking for a disaster.

Your PSU is one of the most important parts of the system. I don't understand why people spend thousands on a system only to cripple or destroy it with a cheap quality/ underpowered PSU.

Tedster said:
google "PSU calculator" then add 30% to the results.

Going cheap on a PSU is asking for a disaster.

Your PSU is one of the most important parts of the system. I don't understand why people spend thousands on a system only to cripple or destroy it with a cheap quality/ underpowered PSU.

Thanks, but define "cheap."

here's a couple of examples, i can't really put it a better way ;)

cheap - 500w for $60? personally i wouldn't. it boasts big numbers but probably won't last as long as a decent psu and you wouldn't want to stress it too much

about right price - this would be about right, maybe even a tad on the slightly more expensive side, so it would last quite a while and you would be ok stressing it a bit

Do not underestimate it when people say a cheap power supply is bad. A power supply is extremely important and i would rather break the budget and fall short. Please dont waste your money, a bad psu can lead to sooooooo many problems and alot appear unrelated.

personally i'd go with daveskates suggestion... if your on this forum much you quickly learn he knows what he is talking about!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back