Powering computer does nothing execpt psu sucking power

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't know how to title this problem. 5 days ago i turn on my computer. It went to the Blue screen stating that either low memory or the bios has wrong info on one of the component. Anyway after a few restart which ended up with the blue screen again the com died.

Now when i turn on the power. the psu works. the Vga card works since the fan is running. The hdd, dvd rom and 'A' drive works. But the monitor don't detect the computer as turned on and neither does the p/s2 keyboard. Although surprisingly the mouse see to have power. But the computer itself doesn't post. Normally there would be 2 beep before i have to type in my cmos password. But there isn't any here.

Things i have tried that didn't work.
1) changing ram
2) removing and changing cmos battery
3) change jbat to clear/revert to original bios
4) turning off the computer and wait for a few days that sometimes work.

Things that worked.
1) HDD is working when tested on 2nd computer.
2)VGA card works
3)Monitor works
4)keyboard works.

Some additional info
the Com being mention is about 3-4 years old.
the previous psu blown up when the computer was on.
Due to the fact the the computer is down i can't provide certain info.

hope some one can help. as this com is very good and still usable for programming use.

thanks in advance

Try unplugging HDD / CD/DVD / FDD from motherboard
Also unplug any PCI card (ie sound / modem / video (if you have onboard))
Also unplug all externals (except keyboard; power and video)

See if that Posts

And you cannot post the brand and model, or the make and part number of the motherboard?
I assume you mean by "com" the computer, but that is a very non-standard reference. For the best help, do not use cryptic references.
Look at the many little barrel-like devices on the motherboard near the cpu. Are any swollen, rounded-tops, or split? If so, you have bad capacitors and your computer is a goner.
If you have a floppy drive, disconnect the hard drive, and optical drive, and see if it will boot to a Window 98, Me, or MS-DOS floppy, start-up, or boot disk.
When you press the <ON> button, does the cpu fan turn a few turns then quit?

Be aware that a Power Supply can be bad, and still power up lights and some devices. You should try another power supply for the test.
How did you test the hard drive on a second computer. If you boot to the drive, Windows XP will detect it as a pirated install and will quit, and not do another full boot.
How did you test the Video Graphics Card?
When did the previous power supply fail? Recently, or a while back?
The main reasons this happens:
Bad power supply. Use another one, or use a power supply tester.
Bad memory or bad memory slot.
Bad video graphics card, though it appears to be good. Use another to test.
Bad cpu fan.
Bad hard drive.
Bad motherboard
Bad cpu.

Its a mobo issue deifnitely. Possibly its not dead, or possibly the BIOS is dead, , its a chip you can take out and replace , ull have to RMA or get them to send you BIOS chip , if everything works but no post nothing on screen no beep, its BIOS related,, gl,

But check everything again first... a lot of problems mimick the BIOS issue which is a very rare failure.

Your board is dead. If you don't like the word "dead", you can say the board is damaged when the PSU went out.

To Kimsland:

Nope none of it worked.

To Raybay:

its a custom built model by mysef so i can't provide those info.If by make and part number you mean those that can be found on the same link or dropdown by the side name "system specs" then sorry i didn't think i have to write it down as well. Or if that didn't provide enough info then do tell me what i am missing and how i need to find it. what i can provide is

865PE Neo2-PLS
• (Socket 478)
• FSB 400 - 800MHz and higher speed
.sorry for the cryptic.

That is call a Capacitor. No there isn't any problem with those all are fine. The floppy didn't work as well since the computer can't even post to the point where i have to input my cmos password to allow it to continue to load normally. No the fan spins as long as the power is turn on.

i have yet to be able to find a spare power supply so i will test that latter.

Your wrong on the HDD it will boot but it will say your system setting is different from the previous one and will ask you to activate it online again. i have tested it for 2 days without any problem. i test it simply by booting it and leaving it on for 1 day.

literally by slotting it into another computer and booting it up. it worked fine.

power supply was busted about 2 years ago mostly due to too much power output according to the guy at the computer hardware shop. But the mobo was fine for 2 years after that.

Tested ram on another computer its fine. Will have to check the slot latter.

VGA is stated above.

CPU fan should be fine as it work without problem for 2 days

HDD is fine since i was able to boot it up and transfer all of my important file into a spare and was fine when turn on for 2 days.

Motherboard and cpu will have to hold out until i can somehow test those.

Tweakboy:

i agree with you its mostly the mobo or bios. Most of my friends stated it as the bios and i agree because the problem started because of the Blue screen which state that my bios info has something different. My chip seems to be soldered onto the mobo so i mostly will have to change a new mobo or solder it myself.

NFSFAN:

Same as Tweakboy

Bruce2:

I would agree with you 2 years ago but for now i will wait till i find that my bios is fine. Reason being the computer was fine for the 2 year after the change and i used it more at times leaving it on for weeks.

thanks for the help i will try those i haven't try yet.

OK I believe you are up to the stage of bench testing (note: harddrive now not required)

Remove the motherboard from the case (including all front USB and power/led connections)
Replug the power supply into the board (I suppose power supply will need to be out too (if you only have one)
Replug your monitor in the back (some bios need keyboard to show display, but presently leave out)
Turn on the motherboard (not exactly a computer now) by shorting (I use a small flat screw driver) the motherboard power pin (where the front connectors were)
You will need to short the pins well for about 2 seconds, for it to start.

Please try that.

Failing that:
Try a new power supply
Try reseating the CPU (can be this too
Try another motherboard !

Reply back when this is done.

okay i understand i will try that. Just a note as i have to go oversea tomorrow. If i cannot complete it by then i will have to reply much latter like in 1 weeks time especially since i have to take out 2 Computer and 1 of it is currently being used by my family member. Sorry for the trouble

If you reply months from now on this post, (as an exageration) I'll still reply.
Good luck OS (that's Windows Operating System and Over Seas)
Personnally I'm a scardy cat on planes (planes and dentists are my only fears!)
Have a safe trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back