Problem installing HP OfficeJet 4500 printer

Good morning!

I am trying to install a HP OfficeJet 4500 G510-n printer on a computer. The OS is Windows 7 32-bit, the printer is hooked to the computer through a USB cable.

I do the installation (either with the CD included or the file from their website), it runs smoothly until the end where I get a Fatal Error, and then it uninstalls itself. The details of the error talk about some registry entries, I guess it can't write into the registry.

I tried having Windows detect and install the printer by itself, it works but it only installs the scanner, not the printer.

Any idea???

Thanks!!!

Hi, I don't have any special know-how of your printer, but a couple of things you can try.
* Check that you have the latest Microsoft updates to Windows.
**Be sure to install the driver 'As Administrator', even if you are the only user.
* It has been known that some printers need to have the driver installed first, then the printer connected only after a reboot of Windows. Worth trying if you have the driver downloaded already.
* If you have used a different printer before, be sure to uninstall it's driver before trying the new one.
* Also the driver disc that came with the printer can be fairly out of date, and the version from the website should be the 'better' one.

Failed installations of HP printer drivers are known to causes failures on subsequent attempts on installation. HP actualy has a number of solutions to remove files after a failed installation. Try their 'scrubber', which is also supposed to clean any problematic entries in the registry.
The second option is to use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (you can find it online). Supposedly for Office installation cleanup, but works for others.
If that does not work you can still try a registry cleaner program, as the problem is generally in the registry.
Just make sure you create a restore point before running it (unless the program makes a backup itself already).

Back