Problem using a hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boins

Hello once again all, I'm back with yet another problem

I've just installed a new motherboard gfx and psu, everythign was fine yesterday, everything was running perfectly, this morning for reasons unbeknown to me whenever I try to boot windows from my SATA drive (which was the primary drive with windows XP on it yesterday) I keep going into a Blue Screen of Death loop

where the BSOD appears, computer restarts and the process goes on and on.

fair enough i thought, I'd just reinstall windows, didn't really have anything on there i needed to keep,

however now when I use the XP disc it won't let me do ANYTHING on this drive, when I try to reinstall, repair or even use the recovery console it says examining disk and stays there (most time I left it like that was one hour)

my question is (before I take a sledgehammer to this ba**ard drive)
is there a way I can format this disk without using the XP disc?

I'm currently running XP in my new setup on an old ide, 80gb.

I've tried connecting the SATA to this computer and taking it out of boot priority in the BIOS, i've even stuck an old RAID controller in the PCI slots to see if that would let me format it from My Computer ((I almost got there with this one but it seemed to hang my system, or take all my resources when I opened my computer)

is there anything i can do? or is this drive FUBARED?

I'll assume you want to use NTFS.. Create a BartPE boot CD.. Check this web site for more info http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ But more than likely you will still not be able to install XP even if you reformat the drive.. Do you have another XP disk?? Check it for dirt, scratches etc. If that's OK then I would look at faulty hardware such as RAM

gguerra said:
I'll assume you want to use NTFS.. Create a BartPE boot CD.. Check this web site for more info http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ But more than likely you will still not be able to install XP even if you reformat the drive.. Do you have another XP disk?? Check it for dirt, scratches etc. If that's OK then I would look at faulty hardware such as RAM

I'll give that a go, but I'm pretty certain that its not the XP disc itself, I've managed to install the XP using the same disc onto my IDE drive with no problems whatsoever, and yesterday it worked just fine, but I'll try this out, thanks for the help

also the RAM in my computer is brand new, less than 2 days old now.
So I dont' think that's the problem, (heh with the amount of questions I post on here I probably don't stand to say things like that but meh)

I'll keep you posted tho, thanks again

seems to me that this Drive has gone.

I used that boot disk you recommended, it worked fine on this drive, but when I tried to boot up the other disk it just hanged, the boot screen came up, logo, mouse pointer, but nothing happened after that.

thanks for the help tho guys, good to have that boot disk for future mishaps.

now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go into the garden and sledgehammer the s*** out of this HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back