problem with internet sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks.

recently got a new laptop with windows vista on it *shudder, thinking of installing XP on it* and I'm having trouble sharing the internet connection from my desktop to this laptop.

It's a wired connection run through an ethernet switch, I've already set up file sharing etc, works perfect, but I don't have any idea how to get the internet working on my laptop. any ideas guys?

When you say switch, how many other computers in the home sharing the internet connection and is there a router within the LAN?

sghiznaneck said:
When you say switch, how many other computers in the home sharing the internet connection and is there a router within the LAN?

no other computers, I bought the switch for my xbox to connect to Live (which isn't connected atm)

nope, no router..

I use a usb modem to connect to the internet.

My mate told me if I just go to run and put \\RYAN *my computer name* it should come up with the folders I'm sharing, and 'tiscali broadband on RYAN' should be an icon there.

which doesn't seem to work unfortunately. but there is an icon that says 'residential gateway device' and when I double click this, it says 'connect to the internet using: tiscali broadband on RYAN' .. but no connect button or anything..

Have you set up a home network in the networking options?? This should allow Windows to release and renew the connection, name the network, hit the gateway (the switch) and assign the IP address.

sghiznaneck said:
Have you set up a home network in the networking options?? This should allow Windows to release and renew the connection, name the network, hit the gateway (the switch) and assign the IP address.

just tried all that, but since my laptop is vista I'm struggling to find the set up home network option, the only things near that is wireless connections which aren't any good to me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back