Problem with Maxtor Sata II/300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, first time poster
heres the abridged setup:
3.8ghz pentium 4
2.0ghz DDR 533
160GB maxtor SATAII/300

So i did a clean install of windows XP pro and it loads and formats perfect but once it is done copying files before it restarts to actually install xp i get the blue screen of death declaring the system had to shut down. after a restart loading from my HD will work and begin the xp boot screen the bar only gets so far and i get the blue screen yet again. ive read that the 300 speed doesnt work on some chipsets but any information would be a load of help! i also tried to use a jumper to force 150 transfer speeds but the same thing happens regardless.

This problem probably has nothing to do with the new hard drive or it's speed settings. Tear down your system to minimal hardware... like on-board video instead of a video card, no USB defvices attached, no NIC cards, one stick of memory and default bios settings.

Redo the Windows install and see if it completes and loads windows. You might need to install SATA drivers using F6 at the beginning of the Windows install

i cant seem to find the right SATA drivers for my motherboard. My previous HD was also an sata so i wouldnt think i would even need to install drivers for it anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back