Problems with new ram on bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all this is my first post on this boards. would appricate any help i can get with this problem.

ok i have bout some new ram from my comp its a 512meg stick 3200/400mhz
the other 2 sticks in my computer are 256x 2 which both are also 3200/400mhz speed also. so i shut down and installed the 512 one i got today and when i boot up i get this black screen with the msg err see your computer documentation for system memory configuration. so i tried every possible combination i could and still nothing but when i take out the 2 256's ones and leave the 512 it runs fine on the comp vice versa when i take out the 512 and leave in the 256's.

thx in advance for any help guys, very frustrateing situation was so lookin forward to 1gig of ram.

Some motherboards do not support 3 sticks of ram. Must have 1, 2 or 4. Please give us your motherboard make and model (or better yet fill in your profile with this information for the next time you have a question.

Try starting your computer with ONLY the one stick of 512 and see if you can boot up. If you can, then try adding ONE stick of 256. If you boot up with those two in, my theory is correct.

thx for answering my post donagual, i have tried the 512 by itself and works fine i've done as you said and added additional 256 and still i get the error screen on boot up. i am not sure of the mother board but this is the comp i am runing on atm hp dx5150

nother thing i have noticed tho is when i run only the 256's on system configuration it says they are runing as ddr 333mhz and both the sticks are suppose to be 400's and the new 512 on says its runing on 400mhz all if it makes any diffrence the 512 one that i bout recently is unbufferd if that could be part of the problem.

also here is a link of the memory i bout recently 512meg

Memory SPD
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIMM #1

General
Memory type DDR-SDRAM
Manufacturer (ID) (0000000000000000)
Size 256 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
Part number
Manufacturing date Week 00/Year 00

Attributes
Number of banks 1
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 133 166 200
CAS# 2.0 2.5 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3 3
RAS# Precharge 2 3 3
TRAS# 6 7 8

DIMM #2

General
Memory type DDR-SDRAM
Manufacturer (ID) Kingston (7F98000000000000)
Size 256 MBytes
Part number KT326667-041-INCE5
Serial number 851CA036
Manufacturing date Week 15/Year 05

Attributes
Number of banks 1
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 133 166 200
CAS# 2.0 2.5 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3 3
RAS# Precharge 2 3 3
TRAS# 6 7 8

this is the read out from the 512stick

Memory SPD
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIMM #1

General
Memory type DDR-SDRAM
Manufacturer (ID) MOSEL (40FFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Size 512 MBytes
Part number
Serial number FFFFFFFF
Manufacturing date Week 255/Year 255

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 200
CAS# 2.5
RAS# to CAS# delay 3
RAS# Precharge 3
TRAS# 8

oh the error msg i'm getting also is :

warning : memory configuration is not supported. please see user documentation for reccommended memory configurations.
press POWER button to shut down.

thx all

Hmm. I'm afraid I do not know how to help. It looks to me like your memory SHOULD be compatible and work just fine, but it happens all the time. Sometimes they just don't work together.

Could be that the two different makers don't work well together.
Could be that you have two different sizes (256 and 512) that you are trying to have working together
Could be that HP doesn't support the ram you bought (spent about 15 mins looking on HPs hopeless website for a list of supported ram, never found anything).

I hope someone else comes to this thread and offers you some help. Good luck!

ok finnally a bit of good news i updated the bios and tried the the 512 with just one of the 256's and its working with 768 now so atleast only 1 of the other sticks is gonna go to waste :). and i've tried both of the 256;s sperately with the 512 and they each work but both the 256's with the 512 is still giveing me the black screen msg.

anyways better than nothing :)!

oh btw the 512 and 256 are running at 333mhz which sucks instead of the 400 its suppose to. if anyone has any idea for a way to get them to run at 400 plz post thx :)!

Well, semi-good news anyways. Good call on the bios update!

I hope someone with a bigger tech-brain than me comes along soon. Cheers.

aye man even at 333mhz and 768ram the proformace increase is almost staggering in the more grahical stuff i run. and fyi you were good help man :approve:

so needless to say i am happy atm think i will just go with this then buy 2 more 512's or even 3 from the same company hehe i'll throw my comp out the window if i get a problem then :p!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back