Problems with Nvidia 650i sli chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabears

I just built my new computer. I am having problems with my chipset. I have just formated Windows XP and am now installing the drivers for all of my devices. I have an ASUS P5N-E sli motherboard. One eVGA 7600 display adapter, two sticks of DDR2 OCZ 1 gig RAM, d-link 2320 wireless adapter. It seems whenever i install the latest Chipset, or even the chipset from the CD i got from the box, for my motherboard, I get various BSOD's and trouble turning on my computer. I would write down the error codes I get but I have a list of about 10-15 different ones.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I return the motherboard?

Remove the eVGA 7600 and use the on-board video for the OS install. After Windows and all the Asus drivers are installed, you can install the video card and it's drivers

I do not have an on-board video. But I was able to borrow a video device from another computer. I used that video device for the instal and I have just now formatted and installed all the drivers. I will now put in the eVGA 7600 and see how it works.

I just got one BSOD. First time for this format. It has an error code 0x8E. What does this mean? Maybe this is a one time occurance(I hope).

Keep us posted... If the BSOD happens again (something that I know will happen) try resetting the bios to failsafe defaults or think again about replacing the motherboard. Are you using an SLI capable power supply?

I got one BSOD earlier today, it was about 5 min after I started my comp. I then went in BIOS and looked at my settings. On my Hardware Moniter menu I had my CPU Q-fan Control and my Chassis Q-fan control disabled. I enabled both of them and have been going good ever since. For my power suppy I have a OCZ, GameXStream 600W Power Supply, 24-pin ATX EPS12V, SLI Ready.

So maybe the "new" fan settings will do it... I always thought that the critical fan contol settings were always enabled by default. Did you happen to disable these by mistake?

I may have disabled them by mistake, either way after the "new" fan settings I have been running my computer all day and no error messages or anything. Any reason why the fan control settings would effect my system that badly.

"Any reason why the fan control settings would effect my system that badly."

Of course Dabears,
the improper settings cause your CPU to over heat... This causes the BSOD's

Asus P5N

DABEARS
I built my own PC a few weeks ago using the same motherboard.As has been mentioned here previously,install without the video card drivers installed then install the videocard drivers after.You have to have the video card mounted on the board as there is no VGA plug on the board.

Asus tech support and their website for info and driver updates suck... I have not used their better motherboards above $90, but in the range below this, I have replaced all Asus that I have used, for various reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back