Problems with slave drive installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulkolektor

Hi, my name is Mike and i am new here.
i need some help installing a slave drive. I just got a new DELL C521 with a 160GB SEAGATE SATA hard drive and the second hard drive (the one I am trying to install) is a 80GB MAXTOR 40 pin hard drive. Since the mother board in the computer does not have 40pin connectors, I got me IDE to SATA PCI card. Now my problem is I dont know what to do from here, I connected the second hard drive and nothing. What do i do?
Any help is appreciated. Thank you

BTW, I am running Windows XP home edition on the SEAGATE hard drive and i also have Windows XP home edition on the MAXTOR still from the older computer

Welcome to Techspot!

I wouldn't put that PCI into that already fast bus system. Did you just buy that IDE to SATA PCI, which the PCI bus speed is very slow already. You're best bet would be to take that back and get yourself an USB 1.1/2.0 external case HDD for IDE older HD. If you live in the states the ones that are sold under the Compusa label work the best. I have 4 of those no problems. You would just open the case screw in the HD, plug in the ribbon and power into the HD and put the cover back. Connect the power to your AC and the USB to the case and back to the PC USB, Windows XP all version should see your new external HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back