Psu? Ackum......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acidwinter

Hi, I know this question is related to like a billion on this board but for some reason I feel this is different....

..now ive been updating windows, drivers and direct x, and I even OC'd my cpu by 200mhz. And my PSU is a bargain bin 500w that seems to work fine.

..My cpu also runs idle at 51c. Im not sure if thats enough to trigger the restart function...well anyway, with all that aside, here is the problem

I recently bought F.E.A.R, and man was I impressed at how my AMD64 3000+ venice was working with it, but just because I sometimes just cant resist, I upped my CPU from 200 to 222 (making it 2ghz). Everything ran just fine and it only went up 1c. All of a sudden when I get to a certain part in fear (a certain fire effect) everything slowed down REAL bad for a minute, until I got passed that part, then it was fine. Well Then I decided to switch my hardrives around (I had a 20gb main one and an 80gb slave) and I clean installed F.E.A.R. Now when I get to that place, it locks up on me. I turned the settings ALL the way down and I walked right by it, but then there is another place that it does that...I decided to turn my settings all the way down again and it still locked up.
Well I figured it was my CPU, so I set it back to default clocks and ran it again....still the same. I thought it might have been F.E.A.R itself, so I decided to play BF2 on max settings. Now everything is moving really REALLY fast until I climbed up the tower on the first SP level in the middle to get an overview of the whole level, then without even slowing down first, it locked up and restarted the computer.
When im on normal applications such as Winamp, aim, mozilla etc everything runs just as fine, it only occurs when I play High end games. I reinstalled direct x, driver cleaner pro'd my drivers in safe mode and re installed catylst and all that happy horse sh :bounce: it still does the same things.

so in conclusion after alot of stuff I learned it could be any one of those things, the cpu, the PSU, or even the ram for all I know! Any thoughts? I would hate to spend $50 on a new PSU or $30 on a good CPU cooler if I dont need to.

x800xt PE
2gb 3200 memory ( 1 gb stick, 2 x 512mb stick...same brand)
80gb WD
20gb WD
AMD64 athalon 3000+ venice (1.8ghz)
Windows xp pro sp2 (all legal)

PS...I just removed my 1gb stick of ram, and dual channeled the 2 x 512mb sticks and Battlefield STILL crashed, but it didnt restart the computer, just closed. I should probably install the update to THAT, but still, any thoughts?

You probably need like a $75 PSU for your rig. My 3200+ restarts at over 90c. :haha:

This is $51 and has the power you need.

The cpu is the main part in a computer, not the computer it's self. CPU means central processing unit, or you might say processor. Like you're Athlon 3000.

Just thought you should know, as this is a learning community. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:hotbounce
Acidwinter said:
Man I really hate buying expensive PSU's but since this is my first GAMING machine (I built a few normal grade CPUs with $20 PSU's) I geuss I should bite the bullet and get something that is going to be worth it...since I have a black and yellow case with a nuclear sign on the door, this would look sweet

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148004
Stay away from that brand of PSU. :hotbounce

CrossFire851 said:
The cpu is the main part in a computer, not the computer it's self. CPU means central processing unit, or you might say processor. Like you're Athlon 3000.

Just thought you should know, as this is a learning community. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Errr sorry. I worked at a call center for awhile and we used appreviations for everything. I still say CPU for computer sometimes. I know what a PSU and CPU is. Just a bad habbit..... >.<

Errr come to find out it was my ram, not my cpu. I took the 2 x 512mb sticks out and am only using my 1gb at 400mhz and it works fine. I dual channeled the 2 x 512s and it was still doing it, so I bet its one of those sticks. Now then...

what would be better?

4 x 512mb dual channeled

or....

2 x 1gb dual channeled

both running 400mhz

2 x 1GB.
When you use 4 sticks, a lot of mobos automatically switch back to 333Mhz.
Read the mobo-manual to see what your mobo requires. It can also be critical wether you use single-sided or double-sided RAM-sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back