PSU issue with evga gtx 660 superclocked

Craig Gentry

PSU issue I think

heres what it is when I first installed this card (had a 500w antec psu) the comp was fine till I played diablo and poof shut off the comp via psu , so decide to get a thermaltake 2 600w and hook tht up now ot plays for a longer time
but does the same thing,I took the card back and got a new one of the same
same thing happens , so I decided to try a different approach and I have a psu I modded for xbox 360 tht is wired to stay on and I ran the card powered by tht and was able to play for hours and only 2 times it shut that psu off suggestions or now a psu tht doesnt get fooled so easy or what is really going on...lol thank you

If you got a different video card and a different PSU, chances are there is something else wrong unless you got very unlucky and got another bad part from one of the two things swapped out.
My guess would be one of the following just from one you said:
The new PSU is bad as well
The CPU is overheating and shutting off
GPU could be overheating and shutting off (Though this is unlikely)
Those are just a few things to check, I would go into the bios and see what temp the CPU is running at while in there and decide if its running above what it should be. If that's not the issue I would try returning the PSU for a different one and see if that fixes the issue. Though the fact that the machine shuts off with 3 different PSU's points to a different part being an issue.

ok the card says on the front of the box "superclocked +79 mhtz"
the temperature hasnt been a factor I have been monitoring it constantly with HWinfo64 and right now im useing a 450w atx psu to power just the card and it holding up ....

ok I realized something the psu(s) I have tried dont put out 24 amps since the card is overclocked it will demand full power quickly could this be what the issue is?

This may sound crazy. But I am using both the GT 660ti superclocked edition and thermal tech 600 watt PSU. If you are not over heating and have tried 3 different PSU. It is a good chance you may have a bad stick of ram. Ram dose not always bluescreen. When it is bad. It can cause the problems you are having. If possible swap out your ram and see if this helps.

A 660 does not use much power in all honesty so it is not a power issue as even an off brand PSU of 450+ can normally power one of those pretty easily.

Its likely a problem with another component on the board at this point because if you have swapped that many times chances are something else is actually bad.

Ok, clearly you guys didnt read my last post because after talking to several electronics experts and checking the specs the 600w tr 2 only puts out a max of 23 amps this is not a watt issue because I had a psu tht was 350 watts run the card in non gameing mode, the psu I had before tht was a max of 22 amps 500 w therfore yes the overclock setting had tweaked the card demand not only on draw but in sudden intake demand (this was explained to me) essentially meaning the overclock although it sounds small causes the card when pushed to demand full amps and voltage but is a quick and passing demand non constant so haveing a psu like I now have tht is a 25 amp output seems to have solved this I am testing as we speak

I have the thermaltake 600 watt. Plus the evga 660ti superclocked card. Not sure if my psu is the same modal as yours. I have never had a problem here. So I hope all goes well. Let us know.

Mines not a ti just gtx 660 sc man once again JUST FORGET THE WATTS!!!! amps is what im talking about here and it is the issue whether any of you choose to accept or ignore fact are facts ...there is a slightly blurry pic below of the box for said video card stateing " 450 watt or greater power supply with a MINIMUM of 24 amps on the 12volt rail now to back this even further when I used the previous psu and did a bench mark with ultra all settings it scored a 69.3 fps with this new 850 watt 25 amp psu with same settings it scored a 87.7 so whether it shuts ur psu down or not, not haveing the proper amps supresses cards full potential

Attachments

• Picture 12.jpg
    Picture 12.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 2
For clarification.
this new 850 watt 25 amp psu
I hope you realize that voltage times amperage is wattage. 850 watts pulling 25 amp would be 34 volts. With 25 amps on a 12 volt rail, there would not be a total of 850 watts, it would be 300 max watts for that 12V rail. You can't reference the total wattage and rail amperage as being in the same equation.

I personally have a MSI GTX 660 and a Corsair CX600V2. I've not experienced issues with them working together. Although the CX600 is a PSU which delivers 46 amps for a grand total of 550W's on a single 12V rail.

Can't say I understand why the card is throttling though, unless it is by design to prevent overpowering a weak PSU.

Ok, clearly you guys didnt read my last post because after talking to several electronics experts and checking the specs the 600w tr 2 only puts out a max of 23 amps this is not a watt issue because I had a psu tht was 350 watts run the card in non gameing mode, the psu I had before tht was a max of 22 amps 500 w therfore yes the overclock setting had tweaked the card demand not only on draw but in sudden intake demand (this was explained to me) essentially meaning the overclock although it sounds small causes the card when pushed to demand full amps and voltage but is a quick and passing demand non constant so haveing a psu like I now have tht is a 25 amp output seems to have solved this I am testing as we speak

First of all I never said a thing about your watts . I just stated . I have never had this problem. Your the one going off on watts. I have read your last post. CliffordCooley post make more sense then yours did.

Back