Queries on networking with crossover cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all,
i have 2 pcs - desktop and laptop.
both have nic's and my computer dealer told me that the cheapest way to get them connected would be a crossover cable.
i do not have any extra budget to buy a switch or a router. i just want simple networking where i can transfer files in either direction and maybe play LAN games.
he advised me to do the following
1. get crossover cables - pin 1 - 3 interchange and pin 2 - 6 interchange.
2. put the first 3 digits of ip same on both machines - ip 172.16.100.xxx, subnet mask - 255.255.0.0, dns - 172.16.100.1, gateway - 172.16.100.1
3. run setup network wizard and put both comps on the same workgroup, enable file and printer sharing.

now i have win xp sp2 with ICF enabled on both computers with norton systemworks 2005 on both and norton internet security 2005 on the laptop.
my queries are
1. would both comps show each other under "my network places" and would i be able to share files in either directions?
2. what file transfer speed will i get if it shows "connected at 100 mbps"?
3. will i have to change any settings in my ICF or norton at any of the machines?
4. if i have 2 nic's on my desktop with one connected to my laptop(crossover) and the other connected to my LAN with internet then is it possible to bridge the networks so that my laptop can access the internet?

thnx.
- k_electron

First of all, you need to use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, not 255.255.0.0 - the subnet mask identifies what part of the of the address if the network address and what part is the host ID. That is the reason that the first three octets (172.16.100) has to remain the same. For example: a desktop with an IP address on 172.16.100.201 means 172.16.100 is the network ID and 201 is the host ID. An IP address (for IPv4) consists of four octets. You should only need one crossover cable - go to between the desktop and the laptop. DO NOT use a crossover cable from modem to whatever is running ICS - it will not work.

To answer your original queries:
1.) They SHOULD show up without an issue. Whether is not you can share depends on what version of Windows XP each one is loaded with.
2.) The transfer speed depends on the processes running on each computer at the time. Think of the crossover cable as a pipeline that has a predetermined capacity. The cable CAN transmit up to 100 mbps. The question is how fast can the transmitting computer send and how fast can the recieving computer can write to it's buffers. Kind of like a waterpipe - it has a capacity for a certain amount of PSI and will maintain that unless there is a hole in the pipe.
3.) That I couldn't answer for you. If you find there are problems, them disable both firewalls and trying communicating. If you can communicate without the firewalls, then gradually increase your security until you find out what is blocking communication.
4.) Yes, run ICS from the desktop.

On other hand, a home router is NOT expensive these days. You probably could find a 4 port Linksys router for $30 - $40, maybe even cheaper over Ebay or something like that. Maybe it's not within your budget, maybe it's not expensive as you might think.....that's for you to decide though.

Any netmask can be used as long as the network addresses remain the same across hosts. In this case one can use any mask less or equal to /24.

The subnet mask is what determines what part of the network address the needs to remain the same. If you use a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, then only the first two octets (172.16) are the network address and have to remain the same. The final two octets would be part of the host address, giving you a lot most hosts available than 254. This is great if you're planning a network inside the Sears Tower, but for two computers inside of a home, it's overkill.

"Overkill".. Why not use a /30 netmask then? I mean there are only two hosts..

It just plain doesn't matter. You lose absolutely nothing by using a smaller netmask. Actually, you win because you have less to type in when setting up the network.

thnx a lot, my wire yet to come though.

hey guys, thnx a lot. i'm getting the know how so probably i wont have any problems doin it when my crossover cable arrives (hopefully today). if i run into any problems i'll let ya know. thnx again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back