Question about Mobo/Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure I am in the right spot or not.

I have a question about how to select the right memory for new motherboard. For example, I am looking a motherboard, and I do see some spec. One example is EPoX EP-MF4-J Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 4X ATX AMD Motherboard and the spec for the RAM is DDR2 800 or other mobo that have DDR 600. I like to know will the mobo that have DDR2 ram will work on DDR2 and/or DDR Ram or just the DDR2 ram? Another question is the number after the DDR/DDR2. Let say 800 is the max number but I can use any lower number. For example for DDR 600, can I use the DDR 266?

I am researching the mobo/ram thing since my current cpu is getting out of date when it come to gaming.

Almost all current motherboards are either DDR2 or DDR, not both. You must use whatever ram the motherboard has slots for.
AM2 motherboards will use DDR2. If the motherboard supports DDR2/800 you can use DDR2/667 or even DDR2/533. You may need to use memory dividers depending on the bus speed being used and the CPU.

My AM2 Mobo is running off of Samsung DDR2533, and it's fine, although the boards can be very picky about memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back