Question about PCIe

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesPromIII

I got a Geforce PNY 9600 gt for christmas and I plan on building a new pc, will I see a noticable increase from a PCI 2.0 Express slot as opposed to just a PCI 16x?

I'm guessing that was a stupid question?

I got a Geforce PNY 9600 gt for christmas and I plan on building a new pc, will I see a noticable increase from a PCI 2.0 Express slot as opposed to just a PCI 16x?

I'm guessing that was a stupid question?

Yep. PCI-e 2.0 doubles the speed over 1.1. Definitely worth while making sure you get 2.0.

Oh, but not a stupid question. : )

No, you will not. It is the card that dictates performance, not the slot. And there is no card out there that can fully saturate the bandwidth provided by PCI-E 1.1, let alone that of its newer incarnation. PCI-E 2.0 is a standard on any motherboard with a P45 (and newer) chipset and while it's nice to have, it's not necessary for the best performance.

No, you will not. It is the card that dictates performance, not the slot. And there is no card out there that can fully saturate the bandwidth provided by PCI-E 1.1, let alone that of its newer incarnation. PCI-E 2.0 is a standard on any motherboard with a P45 (and newer) chipset and while it's nice to have, it's not necessary for the best performance.

Truly? I figured there would be a bottleneck at 250 MB/s. That's not a very large pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back