Question regarding issue with folder view in explorer - Windows 2000

Its pretty old, so you might need to be patient for a response from those that know it well, but ask away, you've nothing to lose and lots to gain. :)

Ask away. :D

I'll gladly re-title this thread once I know what your question is.

Of course not. Ask away, not that I have the answer, however.

Edit: Hey. Leeky's taking the words right out of my mouth. :)

I also use W2K so I might be able to help :)

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people (like me).

OK. I have a machine that has just had the conficker virus removed along with the entire virus treatment over in the virus remover forum. All seems to be well with one known exception.
Under Windows Explorer>t Tools>Folder Options>View tab I'm seeing a shortened list instead of the normal page or so of items. I only see ten entries. Any known cure ? Is this a symtom of deeper trouble ?

I don't have an answer I'm afraid, but I've re-titled the thread as best as I can for you. :D

P.S. Maybe a screenshot would help members in this instance, as I'm not actually aware of what you should be seeing, and I might not be alone.

Yes, a screenshot. At the risk of sounding dumb, how do I do that ? I have a .bmp. The insert image icon here wants a url.

I attached the bmp. I don't have a functioning win2000 machine to show what it should look like but it is very similar to what the same panel in XP looks like

I can't see your attached file...

You need to upload it first. Click "picture gallery" at the top of this page (second from left), and on the first blue bar, select "Upload Photos" in the far right side (its last on right).

Fill the page in, and then upload it, and let us know you've done it and we can view your gallery and see for ourselves. :)

A word of warning: Its publicly viewable, so if your picture contains anything that must remain private, don't upload it! :haha:

It's interesting to note that this member has put 6 of the systems in his small network of "5-10" computers in the V&M forum. Most of the threads are still active- however there may be a recent 'solved'. I have questioned the member who has agreed he has 'worn out his welcome' in that forum.

So asking a question here for a system that is being or has been worked on currently would seem to out of place.

Attaching an image requires one to save the image and use the Attahment feature, not the embedded feature. The second way requires that the image have a location that is accessible on the internet. Then doing a right click> copy image location> give the URL of the image that can be embedded using the 'insert link' icon.

A "small network of 5-10" machines would seem to me to be a work-related environment where an IT person should be available. Posting here to avoid using the IT and getting a quick answer seem to be a be a bit of abuse for the free, volunteer help we offer.

Surely someone is paying this person to maintain his "small network!"

OK the image is on the picture gallery.

bobbye -- I'm not posting here to avoid the IT department. I am the closest they gets to an IT department. i'm trying my best to help out. For the past couple of weeks i come here before I go to work and usually after work too on a volunteer basis. The donation I made here this week came out of my own pocket. They can't afford an IT person or donations at this time. I keep their network going but I'm no virus removal guy. We appreciate the help I've recieved here and I'm sorry I've ruffled some feathers.
I

It appears that somewhere along the line with all the virus elimination work something happened to the rest of the options on that list. You could try doing a repair with a Windows 2000 CD. Do you have one?

There you go:

screenshot.JPG

Okay, here's what you should be seeing:
r00220000330eje02_02.gif

Try Reset Defaults first. If that does nothing, click on Reset all folders If you make any change, click on Apply> OK> Reboot the computer.

If neither of these features work, do the following:
Download Enable View Tab in Folder Options and save to the desktop.
  • Extract the REG zipped file
  • Double click the file to Run
  • Accept the confirmation
  • Reboot the computer

I'm not sure this will work on Win2K- it's kind of hard to find much on that OS, but give it a try. It should replace the entire View tab.

About the donations- that is an awkward subject. Three of us work in the V&M forum. Only one person mentions and accepts donations and it happens to be the one who is helping you with all the computers. TechSpot as a site doesn't accept donations either. Whatever donation you made went to him personally. Although the other helper and myself have been asked many times about donations, we prefer to give of our time freely and expect nothing in return except a happy member with a clean system.

Thanks for the info. Ii'm at 'granmas house' for the holiday. i';ll try your suggestion when I return on Tuesday.

I hope you are enjoying the holidays! Let me know if this works for you- then I can tuck it under my cap for the next member who has the problem.

That link works from my desk computer but not from the target. I'll downloaded it on my desk computer, unzipped it and carry it back to the target. I'll let you know

Advise use the Event Viewer and look for any error at time you try to use the View tab and see what's preventing it from populating. It is most likely a setting gone bad somewhere.

Back