Questions on Laptop Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

saif

Hi all,
I have a new Toshiba Satellite A300-1EI Laptop.

1) It came with 3GB of RAM. Specs say 8GB max. So can I install 8GB of RAM without any other modifications? And where can I buy it?

2) When kept for charging, the laptop doesnt seem to be grounded, ie, I can feel electricity when I run my fingers through the surface. Is this natural, or is there a problem?

3) The OS is Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit. Can my laptop run 64-bit OS?

4) I have created 2 Recovery DVDs using the pre-installed Recovery Disc creator. What are its uses?

5) And how can I reinstall the OS (like we do on desktop systems) when there's a problem or system is too slow? And I don't have a genuine disc of the OS, do I have to buy another one?

6) How much graphics memory do I actually have, It says 2GB somewhere and 256MB at another place. The card is a ATi Mobility RADEON HD3470.

regards,
saif

1) It came with 3GB of RAM. Specs say 8GB max. So can I install 8GB of RAM without any other modifications? And where can I buy it?
You can buy it at www.tigerdirect.com, www.crucial.com (my choice), www.zipzoomfly.com, www.newegg.com, www.directron.com, www.outpost.com, www.techdepot.com and many other online shops.
2) When kept for charging, the laptop doesnt seem to be grounded?
You should have a technician check it out.
3) The OS is Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit. Can my laptop run 64-bit OS?
No. 64-bit OS needs a 64 bit machine or motherboard.
4)Recovery DVDs.... What are its uses?
Save them for when you need to reformat your hard drive or reinstall your computer, or when your hard drive fails and you need to replace it.
5) And how can I reinstall the OS (like we do on desktop systems) when there's a problem or system is too slow? And I don't have a genuine disc of the OS, do I have to buy another one?
Use the recovery DVD's you made.
6) How much graphics memory do I actually have, It says 2GB somewhere and 256MB at another place. The card is a ATi Mobility RADEON HD3470.

regards,
saif

and you're wasting your $. A 32 bit OS cannot address above 4gb and cannot see above 3.5gb minus any ram eaten by integrated graphics use.
For laptops - there are really only two hardware ways to speed them up. Buy a faster hard drive. Add ram. with a 32bit OS, and ram at 4gb - you're maxed. So you can add a fast HD like a 7200 rpm drive. That's about it.

You might be able to upgrade the CPU- but it generally is not practical on a laptop and it's difficult to do. (more so than a desktop)

read how to speed up windows in the guides forum.

Thanks for the advice, but then why do the specs say 8GB max when its useless? And IF I happen to install 8GB RAM won't the rest 4GB be used at all?
And how much graphics memory do I actually have, It says 2GB somewhere and 256MB at another place? The card is a ATi Mobility RADEON HD3470.

The Motherboard can support up to 8Gig of Ram, but your presently installed Windows cannot

You have a 256Meg Video card

:)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_vista
14x1lyo.gif

Thanks for the link, I now get it.
But what about 64-bit OS compatibility with my laptop??

Toshiba Satellite A300-1EI Comes with:
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition (pre-installed, Toshiba-HDD recovery)

Therefore I wouldn't be putting any other OS on it myself

You really should have originally asked for 64Bit OS only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back