RAID(?) IDE Problem, drives not showing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaLo2FrEeEk

Hey everyone, I saw a post about using Windows Disk Management in XP to combine disks into one, I am interested in doing this. See, my job provides me on occasion with a salvage computer that is more often than not in perfect working order, though dated, and I scavenge the harddrive from it. I have a 200 Gig IDE and a 4 gig IDE (I did say dated, didn't I?) and I want to combine them. My main drive is a 500 Gig SATA, plugged into SATA port 1. When I plug in the 4 gig as a slave (for this particular drive it's no jumper), it works, the drive shows up, (but as Disk 0 in Disk Management, which I want to not have), but when I plug in the 200 Gig (as a slave, which in this drive's case is this configuration):

:::|:

in addition to the 4 gig drive (still in slave), neither shows up. Does one have to be in Master mode? Wouldn't that make it my boot drive? How do I make it not show up as Disk 0 (I want my main SATA disk be Disk 0). Anyways, it just seemed that you all were the best people to ask since the question in the other thread was answered so well. Any help would be very extremely mucho appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

~HaLo2FrEeEk

check your MB manual for sata configurations
check boot device priority thats where you'll find the boot drive order
I'm guessing the drive needs cable select if there's no place for jumpers
don't raid th 4gb at all senseless
you must have raid capability's for the on board chipset
or get a raid pci .pci-e card
slot or bus must be bootable to bios
you can't raid diff types of drives
I:E sata to ide or scsi to sata
I don't know if a ide to sata converter would work to make raid work on sata controller
for me I would use the 4gb for backup to a backup of special data
not big enough for stand alone xp pro
if your going to put any amount of programs running on the machine
I have a 4gb as a stand only cnc controller thats all its good for
now if your into dos or nt maybe win98 the 4gb would be a nice play field
good luck
keep play'n in there
PS
you can make the 4gb a folder in on of the other drives after to get it to show up

Thanks anyways but nevermind, I figured it out, I had to set one of the drives to master with slave, so I set the 200 gig one. It wasn't that the 4 gig one had no jumpers, it was that the slave configuration was no jumpers. Anyways, I did it, I RAIDed them together, my goal is to make as big a harddrive as humanly possible by combining the various harddrives I get from work over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back